Friday, September 16, 2011

Back

Wow, what a couple of months it has been.
The last time I wrote I had been finishing up my summer and starting my full time job for a FDNY EMS providing hospital.

Well, I've started classes, moved back into the dorm, and made quite an effort balancing everything. I'm proud to report that things have worked out great. While the first few weeks were a little overwhelming (mostly because of the heat at Brookdale, honestly) I've finally settled into a flow. I'm able to work 40 hours a week on the ambulance uptown, get a good amount of time in for studying, homework, and review for classes, and actually have a social life! I've been able to hang out with friends just as much as last semester, when I was only committed to classes. Although I have to get up for work at 4:30 and 5:30 almost every day, I must say it is well worth it. There is no better feeling than walking to the subway in the morning and knowing you are doing something you feel is important for your future and for yourself.

I've made a few friends at work already. Its hard not to get to know each other pretty well when you're sitting in an ambulance and handling emergencies for 8 or 16 hours at a time. I feel privileged and honored to work with these people. Some of them are experienced paramedics, others EMT-Bs with years of experience. Every one of them has a story, a reason to work, and most have a love for the job. It has truly been a rewarding and sustaining experience for me thus far. The novelty of the job hasn't worn off yet, either. I drove one day, and ended up going through Times Square with the lights and sirens on. The feeling was an interesting, somewhat indescribable one- there I was, 19, driving an ambulance through Manhattan to a 911 call. I wouldn't have even dreamed of this a couple of years ago.

Classes are good, too. I ended up with great professors and I once again feel that these classes will have a lasting impact on my education. I feel lucky in that sense-- every class I have taken has really taught me something and has allowed me to improve myself in some way. I owe that to the professors and faculty at Hunter.

A lot of people tell me that they don't think I can balance working full time and going to school, and maintaining a social life. It was overwhelming at first, but I have been able to balance it well thus far. It is a very rewarding feeling at the end of the day. That feeling outweighs all of the exhausted nights, the groggy mornings, and the running around. Self-discipline doesn't come easy, but it is a very empowering thing.

That's all I have for now.
Michael.

No comments:

Post a Comment