Monday, September 12, 2011

Swamped

Well, maybe more like "puddled" - it's too early to be really swamped. But I've taken on a lot this semester, and I'm certainly feeling the effects already! (This is not a pity party - it's exactly what I was looking for this semester. I just need to get into a regimen and get used to my schedule =) )

First up - a bit of news I've yet to share with the Macblog: I got an internship with Vogue Knitting!!!!!!!!! For the bulk of you who just said "Huh?", Vogue Knitting is one of the most widely read and well respected knitting magazines in the U.S. And yes, there are quite a few! We knitters might not be the most populous bunch, but we're all pretty much obsessed.

I started knitting when I was 9 or 10, but I didn't develop any sort of passion until I was maybe 16. I've definitely become an avid knitter since coming to college - who wouldn't, with places like String and the Lion Brand Yarn Studio around? I've also become a moderately active member in the knitting community, mostly in maintaining a Ravelry profile. Ravelry is like Facebook for knitters, but even better - it has an incredible interactive database of patterns and yarns, with every pattern you could find on the internet and many from books. What's more, people can post photos of their FO's - finished objects - so one can see not just how a sweater looks on the model in the pattern, but on a variety of people in every imaginable shape and size.

Most of what I've been doing at VK has been basic office work, but tonight, I get to go to Stitch 'n' Pitch at Citi Field for free! I've yet to make it out to the new stadium, so this is the perfect opportunity to do so! Plus, I'll get to know some of my coworkers a bit better.

On top of my internship, I'm continuing my research assistantship with the wonderful Dean Kirschner into the fall, as she's trying to finish her book by December (and definitely will!). It's just such a great experience working with her - I was disappointed by the idea of just stopping in August, so I'm thrilled that she asked me to stay on for the rest of the year! My advice to all Macaulay students is to GO GET TO KNOW HER! She is a fabulous woman who is way more down-to-earth than you might expect from a Dean. And to all applicants; you won't find a more accessible Dean at any other college. I guarantee it.

I'm also helping out/interning with Macaulay to organize the brand new Knopf/Doubleday Author Series at Macaulay. Consider this a plug!! Our first reading is on Monday, September 26th at 7:00, at the Macaulay Building. If you want to attend, be sure to RSVP, and if you have any questions, leave me some comments!

And then there are my actual classes: Advanced German through Translation, Intensive Elementary French, and my HONORS THESIS!! I'm writing about an Austrian/Israeli author, Doron Rabinovici. I'm at least writing about his newest work, Andernorts, which was published in 2010, but I might use some of his other works as well. As of right now, I'm going to be writing about how Andernorts is a Foucauldian novel, which presents many facets of identity that one assumes are immutable and steadfast, only to show how fragile and constructed they actually are. And I'm going to be writing it in German. Gulp.

Anyway, I'm off to get ready for a 9 AM meeting with the Dean. Happy Tuesday, everyone!

- Katharine

No comments:

Post a Comment