Friday, September 23, 2011

Hello everyone!!!

My name is Slavena, and I'm a freshman here at Macaulay Hunter. This is my first blog post as a Mac Blogger and I'm super excited! It feels so surreal to be writing this right now. When I was in high school, I used to read some of the blog posts that students would post here, and I remember thinking that I would definitely get involved with this blog if I got into Macaulay. I think it's a great opportunity for Macaulay Hunter students to share their experiences and learn from each other.
Hmmm...I guess I should tell you some things about myself:
  • My name means glory in Bulgarian.
  • I was born in Azerbaijan and I moved to NYC when I was six.
  • I live in Brookyn, the best borough. =p
  • I'm pre-med and I'm majoring in biology.
  • I love to read anything and everything (including the sides of cereal boxes!)
  • I love any kind of art--paintings, sculpture, architecture and I love the work of van Gogh, Warhol, da Vinci, Michelangelo, el Greco, Degas, and many others!
  • I've recently developed a passion for 18th century French furniture.
  • I love period rooms in museums.
  • I love to read about fashion and the history of fashion.
  • My biggest pet peeve is when people smoke near me.
  • I have never eaten sushi before. (People are usually shocked when they hear this!)
  • I love going to the ocean and just sitting on the sand or collecting sea shells.
  • I love taking photographs of people, cool looking architecture, and places I've visited.
  • I'm beginning to be fascinated by classical music. (
  • I like cocktail rings and fedoras.
  • I like to put up random pictures on my walls of my room as inspiration.
  • I don't know how to cook but I want to learn.
  • I like to write poetry.
  • I like looking at coffee table books.
That's probably the most random list of things in the world. =p
I'm so glad it's Friday, and I'm definitely looking forward to sleeping in this weekend. I've had a cold all week so I need a break from everything.
Some things from this week:
  • I actually took my first college exam this week which was nerve wrecking, but I'm happy I got through it. 
  • On Tuesday, I had a break between classes so I decided to go out and explore. Growing up in Brooklyn, I never really got a chance to see Manhattan that often. It's only in the past couple of months that I've really gotten to know some of Manhattan and I'm looking forward to learn much more about it. So on Tuesday, I walked to Central Park and walked up Fifth Avenue all the way to the Met. It's one of my favorite museums, and I'm always inspired by its beautiful external architecture and by the beautiful art inside. Then I walked down Madison Avenue. I was literally walking with my mouth open because every single block had beautiful designer stores, chic boutiques, and cool restaurants and cafes. I'd never been to that part of Madison Avenue before so I was just floored by everything I saw. The stores are like little museums and one could literally spend a week looking at all the clothes. I completely fell in love with the Ralph Lauren flagship store. The displays absolutely epitomize American glamour. The whole excursion to the Met and Madison Avenue was a much needed escape from the sometimes overwhelming college reality.
  • I visited Roosevelt House this Wednesday and completely fell in love with it! President Raab welcomed the Macaulay freshman there, and it was the perfect place to get inspired by what's out there for all of us Macaulay kids. I'm definitely looking forward to going back and learning more about the Roosevelts and about what the institution offers Hunter students.
  • The same day I visited Roosevelt House, I got to listen to author and Hunter College professor, Colum McCann talk about making the best of our college years and about his book, Let the Great World Spin. I was inspired by his call for all of us to be more optimistic and to believe that a better world can result if we all put in an effort to make it better.
I hope you enjoyed my post. This was a lot of fun! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment