Thursday, September 29, 2011

Apples, Honey, and Homework

Happy Rosh Hashanah to all the Jewish readers! (Or should I say "L'Shana Tova!")
I know that every Hunter student is very grateful for this 5 day weekend. I know that I am!
Some thoughts:
  • Yesterday, I got the chance to visit my high school three months after I left. It's funny how natural it still felt to take the bus to school even though I hadn't done it for awhile. I got to hang out in the office I used to work in which was fun. That office was like my second home in high school, and it still felt very much like home months later. Then, I took a walk through the hallways, and it was weird how everything felt just a little bit smaller. But at the same time, I felt like I could step into one of my old teacher's classroom, and still feel like a student. It was cool to see my old teachers. I remember students coming back and visiting teachers when I was a senior last year, and it was surreal to be in their place now. I'm definitely glad I visited. Everybody there wants to see me succeed and that pushes me to work even harder in college so that I can make them proud.
  • I have my first biology exam next week so I'm slightly freaking out about that. But I figure that I'll be alright because I've kept up with all the assignments. All I have to do is sit down and review some key concepts. I'm catching myself making biology jokes about ATP which I figure shows that this stuff is really sinking in. =)
  • This weather is so yucky. It's humid and rainy and just blah. We need a little sunshine here in NYC before the winter comes. Though winter has its benefits too. I love the snow, the holidays, and the warm cozy feel of my house during the winter.
  • I don't know if many of you have heard about this, but there have been allegations of some cheating going on during the SAT. A nineteen year old has been accused of taking the SAT for several students in exchange for a large sum of money. People have become so obsessed with doing well on the SAT that they'll do anything to get a near perfect score. I took the SAT during my junior year, and I remember how stressed out I was, but I never would have been a part of something like this. It's better to just sit down, study, and do the SAT on your own. Cheating is going to get you nowhere in life, and it's definitely not something that will prepare you for a successful four years in college.
By the way, I welcome all prospective students and current students to comment on posts. Blogs are all about connecting with people and sharing information.

Until next time!! =)

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I am applying to Macaulay for fall 2012 and have been exploring the website ect

    i loves reading about apples and honey, as I am jewish as well

    i know you can read about a colleges statistics and what not online but you cant know about a true experience except from a student.

    so, what is it like to be a student at Macaulay hunter? do you live in dorms? I would be coming as an out of state student

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, my name is Julia and I am applying to Macaulay Hunter for fall 2012

    i know you can read a colleges website through and through for statistics and courses a million times without knowing what life is really like for a student day in and day out

    this blog is a great idea for potential students to really hear about student life.

    I was wondering if you could give me a little insight into student life ect.
    i am also jewish and want an aspect of that in my college experience. do you live in the dorms or commute? what are the demographics like? I would be coming as an out of state student

    sorry this is kind of long!

    but thank you, your input would be much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry, wrote you twice on accident while signed into the wrong account!

    ReplyDelete