Saturday, May 25, 2013

Moving out involves feelings.

I moved out today everybody. Any Brookdale-ites reading this, if I didn't say goodbye, I'm sorry- thanks for making living there a blast!

Move-out was an absolute ZOO. I swear, I don't think I've seen anything this disorganized in my entire life. For some reason, there were only 5 or 6 Resident Advisers working check-outs, so it was a 40 minute wait to get someone to go up, make sure you hadn't trashed your room, and then take your keys. 
And that was AFTER you had managed to procure one of the 3 laundry carts or a wheely/dolly cart (depending on who you are and what you call them); and move all of your things out.

Let's take a quick math break: Brookdale houses approximately 700 kids.
There are a max of 10 things you can use to move things from your room.
That's 1 cart for every 70 kids.
There are 700 kids, and 3 elevators. Except, today, one of the elevators broke, so for a while it was 700 kids and 2 elevators.

Now add in the parents, siblings, cousins, and friends who come to help you move out. Another 500 people, easy.

My advice: Move your stuff out early. Try and get your parents to come sometime during finals week and pick up all the non-essentials. Most of your clothes, the books you don't need, your odds and ends that make your room look "pretty" - just get them out. Leave yourself some soap, the books you need, your fridge, and enough cooking utensils to last you the week. Then the day everyone is going crazy moving all their stuff, you're making two trips and you're done. 
Then, all you have to do is sign out and head on home.

Now I understand that isn't possible for everyone - but if those who can do it, do - life will be that much easier for them. And since they won't be trying to move out, those whose parents couldn't come in will have that much of an easier time.

The other thing about moving out is that you realize how much STUFF you have. Nothing makes you realize how much useless crap you have like trying to pack it all up. 

Freshman: You will over pack, it is a fact. You will bring things, they will sit in your box or on a shelf and you will not remember you even own it until you go to pack it at the end of the school year. That's okay. In the end, it's better to have it then to not. My mom sent me in with an ironing board and an iron. I didn't wind up going a massive amount of places I had to press my clothes for. Lucky me, most of the times I did I had wrinkle-proof clothes to wear. But IF.... IF the governor had called.... IF I had to go to lunch with Prince Harry.... IF J.K. Rowling wanted to invite me to a book chat she was having.... IF... I would have wanted a pair of nicely pressed pants. 

My last piece of advice is a little contradictory. Stay as long as you can. Enjoy living in the dorms. Even if you can move out on Friday, send all your stuff home with your parents and spend one more night. Go walk the town until 2 AM and wander into the dorms as the sun rises. Wake up there one last time, enjoy one more day of freedom. Sign out and see one last thing in the city. Get one more mango juice from Mamouns'. See the view of the Empire State Building from Madison Square Park one more time. Take one last look at the Chrysler Building, and remember the first time you saw it when you walked to the 6 train. Watch the M15 go by. Give your friends one more hug. Yes, you'll be back in three months. Yes, you'll see them over the summer. Yes, you've got 3 more years together.

But that's it - three more years. Not four anymore. You've finished your first year of college. You're a sophomore now. You've grown so much. You've learned so many things. So many people have come into your life since last May. 

Congratulations.

No comments:

Post a Comment