Thursday, May 16, 2013

Fellow History Lovers?

Alright, this is a nerd school, and I say that with all the love in my heart.

So at least one person must be as interested in history as I am, right??
If you're that person, HAVE I GOT A TREAT FOR YOU.

I discovered a blog/podcast series entitles "Bowery Boys". The name is based on a gang from good ol' Five Points (a major slum on the Lower East Side).

They've got hundreds of podcasts about different spots, areas, institutions and individuals from New York City.  Since all those who have committed to Macaulay are out of school and preparing for their big move to independence in the city, I thought I'd share the link to their website:

http://theboweryboys.blogspot.com/

You can get the podcasts on iTunes, put them on your portable listening device, and then wander the city to your heart's content! I've been wasting finals time by listening to these, and the wandering will come after the finals are turned in.

And, as a future reference, I found these to be helpful with the second seminar, Peopling of New York City. Being able to listen to something very interesting that gave me a good background in NYC's peculiar history was definitely a leg-up in the course.

Plus, they send out a newsletter with 5 free (or almost free) things to do in the city each weekend. So between that and your Macaulay passports, you should be able to steep yourselves in culture without emptying your pockets.

I really hope someone gets a kick out of this. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment