Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Spring in the City

Today, I learned the difference between the phrases "waterproof" and "water retardant". One means my laptop is safe and dry in my bag, the other means I'm freezing, damp, and look like a drowned rat.

I walked out the door of the dorms and it was drizzling - the kind of rain where you leave your hood down so the light mist lands in your hair and feels nice.

By the time I got to the corner of First Avenue (about 600 feet) I thought it was a monsoon. Seriously, I looked up a video of the monsoons in India, and that is what First Avenue looked like. And then it dawned on me - my arm was wet. By the time I reached Park Avenue, I may as well have not been wearing a coat.

Thankfully though, Hunter has a great little entrance to the subway in the basement. You don't have to go outside on days like this (or during the winter) when its really nasty. You can just go up through the basement of the West building.

Weather in the city can get a little crazy sometimes. It's been raining cats and dogs on and off since last night - but my weather apps all say 'partly cloudy with a chance of rain". YEAH, RIGHT.

My advice to you all those who are thinking of coming here - invest in a nice umbrella, a good quality raincoat, and a sturdy pair of Wellies.

They may be right when they say that "The air in Manhattan during spring has the quality of Champagne", but the rain sure as hell doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment