Saturday, May 4, 2013

Inferno, Laughs in Bio, and da Vinci

Hello everyone!

It was another beautiful day in NYC and a great end to this week. I can't believe it's already May. School is almost over and that means summer is almost here. I love how the summer always seems endless. It's a great time to reenergize and do all of the fun stuff that you couldn't do when you were studying for exams and writing papers. Then, when the the fall semester starts, I always feel like it's a new opportunity for me to be better and do better and take more risks.

Earlier this week, I handed in my final seminar paper. It ended up being 46 pages (that includes pictures and a bibliography). I should mention that the paper could have been like 20 pages. I just ended up having a ton of information on my topic, and I just wrote until I could write no more. haha. It is the longest paper that I have ever written. I am so glad that my professor assigned two different papers separately and then had us combine them into one giant paper. It made my research and writing a lot easier because I didn't have to attack everything at once. I got to do things in stages and really learn about the background of my topic before forming my own opinions on it. This was really the first time that I was asked to do research and writing in stages, and I thought it made the final paper a lot better. I think I've mentioned that my professor is Owen Gutfreund. Definitely take hime for Seminar 4. He's full of great information on New York. He's also just a really intelligent guy. He will definitely challenge you, but you will be better for it. All I have left to do for that class is an in-class group presentation, and a group presentation at Macaulay next week.

I had probably the best experience in bio lab today. I have a great group of people in my lab section, and we all get along well. Today's experiment was basically add one thing, wait 5 minutes, add another thing, wait 20 minutes, etc. So during those waiting periods we ended up having really great conversations. We talked about where we were from, the struggles we had in our classes, and just generally made a lot of jokes. I don't think I've ever laughed so much during a bio lab. Even our instructor participated in the conversation a few times. It was really a lot of fun and made the time go by so much quicker. If only every lab class was that way. It was really an awesome way to finish the week and just took my mind off everything.

For anyone who doesn't know, Dan Brown's new book's Inferno will be released on May 14, 2013. It will follow Robert Langdon on his fourth historical adventure. I loved the first three books. Brown has been criticized for twisting history, but at the end of the day, we have to remember that his books are a work of fiction and they are always super fun to read.

Dan Brown's most famous book is probably The Da Vinci Code, and one of the reasons I loved it is because I love all things da Vinci. I remember going to the library at 8 or 9 years old and reading about his work and being so fascinated by his creativity and intelligence. I even got myself a bag with Mona Lisa printed on it. It's so funny to me when I'm the train and I see people staring at my side. For a second, I'm confused and then I realize that they're looking at the painting. After all, it is arguably the most famous painting in the world.

Here's to more laughter and art in all our lives!

S.

Quote of the week:

"The earth laughs in flowers."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment