Sunday, May 19, 2013

Alright, maybe finals week isn't THAT bad.../ Surprising opportunities

Total papers page count due: 40
In-class papers: 2
Final Exams: 1
Procrastination level: pro

So finals roll around once again, and I am again camped out on Stacey's floor because it's moderately comfortable, pleasantly cool, and the music is excellent.
(in case I haven't mentioned it before, Stacey is the girl who lives next door to me in the dorms. She's the closest thing to a roommate I could ever want because we can barge into one another rooms, but I can kick her out when she starts to fart.  She's on the MacBlog too! )
Tonight the focus is on a paper about multiculturalism and power dynamics, with breaks to blog about what I did Friday evening that I consider really special.

So, a bit of backstory: Dr. Petraeus is coming to teach here at Macaulay next year, and I decided to apply to be in his seminar. Its only open to 16 students, but I figure its worth tossing my name out there.

Friday night, Dean Kirschner offered students the opportunity to go to a "discussion" about Dr. Petraeus' appointment. Let me tell you what I imagined:
 50 or 60 kids, sitting in an audience. The Dean gets up and speaks, illuminating us as to why Dr. Petraeus chose Macaulay and what his goals are for his time at the university, as well as what the university hopes we will learn from him. After she speaks, there is a short Q&A and we are dismissed.

Well I guess I forgot, this is a  MACAULAY event, and they are never as dull as all that.
It was a small, round-table discussion. It was tight-knit. The Dean let us run the discussion, allowing the students to ask the questions and determine that night's agenda. She chatted with us amicably before. (she was very proud of the fact that she had painted her own toenails and they had come out well)  

It was just such a surreal moment, to realize that the Dean had offered students a chance to really speak openly with her about the school. I think what was nicest was that there wasn't anything pretentious about it - she treated us like equals. So many kids don't get to go to a school where they know the "higher-ups" so  well.

 Here at Macaulay, the Deans take the time to get to know you, and they are utterly approachable. As a girl who was very sold on the "biggest school I can imagine" idea, I must admit, this small-school stuff is nice. I like that my administrators can get to know me. I like that I have advisors who recognize me and know what I want to do with my life. I like that I could possibly get to be one of 16 students learning from a retired General who also happens to be the retired director of the CIA. 

I think that's the perfect analogy for Macaulay, actually. We're big enough to get Petraeus to come, but small enough to make sure that the class he teaches is full of students he will know well.

No comments:

Post a Comment