Sunday, December 11, 2011

Richard, "The Cow That Couldn't Moo", and Sparkly Trees

This past week was the last full week of classes of this semester.
Reflections from this semester:
I can't believe my first semester of college is almost over. It all seems so surreal. I graduated from high school less than 6 months ago, but it feels like ages ago. College makes the future more real. It's all in front of me right now. As kids, we would ask each other, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" There's more pressure than ever to have an answer to that question. We're all supposed to figure out what we want out of our lives,  and I think people's biggest fear is never figuring out what role we play in this world. But even for people who've known what they've wanted to do since they were 10, college takes everything they thought they knew and turns it upside down and inside out. It makes you question everything and really look deep and figure out what you REALLY WANT out of life. What are you willing to work for? What are you willing to commit to? What makes you tick?

Enough of the serious stuff. =p
Some stuff from this week:

1. My Arts in NYC class performed our musical on Wednesday in Hunter College's Lang Recital Hall. We worked on it all semester and it turned out great! I had some really talented people in my class who really put in a lot of work to make the musical a success. Professor Graff also really made that class fun for all of us. Prospective students: If you find yourself at Macaulay Hunter, take his seminar class. You won't regret it. He's a great professor.
2. Thursday was a really cold day in the city.  I decided to take a short walk down Park Avenue just to get some air. That short walk turned into walking 14 blocks down to East 54th Street and then 14 blocks back up (because I didn't feel like taking the train during rush hour)! It was a really beautiful night and there were trees coverd in lights all down Park Avenue. I really felt that holiday season magic with all the pretty lights, beautiful store displays, and people shopping and just walking. If I could capture all of that energy in a jar and inhale it during finals week, I wouldn't have to sleep all week. =p
3. I did some holiday shopping with my mom this weekend. We actually bought a present for ourselves--a giant bear that my mom named Richard. So Richard has a new home this holiday season. =)

Good luck with finals, everyone! (And wish me luck on my bio and chem finals!!)

 Happy Holidays!!

 S.

No comments:

Post a Comment