Sunday, December 4, 2011

Strange Incidents on the Last Train Car

In general, NYC is great place to be in. The diversity of cultures, food, and events is one of the best things about the city. However, there are the occasionally not so pretty incidents where it certainly feels awkward. Everyone at some point witnesses panhandling on the train system. You see homeless people, who come and perform, or tell their story to the city's straphangers(some of them outwardly state that they need money for alcohol). There are even young kids, who sell candy, or do an amazing juggling act while the train is in motion. These are fairly common on the trains and one gets accustomed to it. What isn't seen everyday is the extreme; an incident involving a knife, pepper spray, and yelling. (Don't worry though, nothing really happened)

Last Wednesday, I was coming home on the E (or was it M?) train. I usually transfer at 53rd and Lexington from the 6 train. I also have everything planned out, so that I minimize walking and traveling time. This means that I tend to get on the last few cars of either train. Also, normally, I get off at the first stop after I board the E/M train, or the first stop in Queens. I was already facing the train door, waiting for the train to cross the river, when out of nowhere a guy starting talking really loudly. I'm going to try and state the facts, because it became really hard to judge either one of the guys involved. The man, who was in his late 50's, began talking about how everyone on the train has a right to defend his/her self. He continued stating how he is a veteran and perfectly capable of defending anyone on the train. At first it seemed as though the man was odd; until I realized he was directing his words to another man in front of him. Then it all made sense as the dialogue continued. The man sitting down was claiming that the man standing up had a knife hidden. That's when the man sitting down pulled out a pepper spray and continued his claims that if the other man tried to assault anyone, there were tons of witnesses. This is when the standing man decide to talk; he claimed that the other guy was crazy and had no clue what he was talking about. Their yelling and insults continued and I was extremely glad my stop arrived. Throughout the whole time, I was freaking out. It was impossible to tell which man was lying, the man standing up also got defensive and began verbally abusing the older man. It was even more strange how everyone on the train averts their eyes and the silence only increases the tension. It was certainly one of the scariest experiences of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment