Monday, November 14, 2011

And the results are....

After a disastrous last week, I am going to evaluate the success/failure of my plan from my previous blog. I am happy to report that the long hours of studying for bio and attending group tutoring sessions really helped. I felt much more at home with this test, there were of course some pieces of information that I was lacking, but it was quite difficult to remember the minimum number of genes a bacteria can survive with. However, the essays were much more enjoyable since not only had our professor given us possible essay questions, I had set out to write a through answer to each one of them. That said, my changes for bio worked. On the other hand, it was a bit more difficult to feel just as satisfied with chem because of all the time I spent studying bio. I still made sure to attend office hours, do tons of problems and make concise study notes; however, there was still more to be done. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either, so next time, no matter what, chem will be my priority.

On a much more happier note, English 120 is proving to be quite an amazing class. Coming from school where senior year English was comprised of humanities seminar and sometimes tedious books, English 120 is a breath of fresh air that kindled an old love for writing. There is a focus on social issues but it is all still as relevant today as it was during Stevenson's Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde and Shelley's Frankenstein. I also love how our essays are formatted. We spend the semester learning about semiotics. I analyzed an ad for Domino's sugar for its connotations on eating habits and organic foods. I proposed a solution for the growing Achievement gap in education and now I am finishing the semester with an comparison of Frankenstein and Kosinski's Being There. Overall, I think English 120 is a great course to take, writing is so essential in life and English 120 will challenge you to look further into the signs that are found in our society.

No comments:

Post a Comment