Saturday, November 13, 2010

It is Gorgeous Outside

You would expect that by the time fall/winter came along, studying indoors would be just a tad bit easier, because you wouldn't feel guilty about missing out on the awesome weather. But noooooo, mother nature/ climate change had to have an amazing and unseasonably warm Saturday ( geez, my dashboard on my Macaulay provided Macbook [woo hoo] says its SIXETY FIVE DEGREES OUTSIDE. !@#$%), making studying indoors almost a sin- how can I let pass a wonderful day that might not come back until spring? Either way, I am battling the temptation of just bumming in nearby Madison Park or any patch of green with a study buddy ( definitely need one if you don't have one yet!) in the almost equally gorgeous Baruch Library. Maybe, and just maybe if we stick to our study plans, we can enjoy the day at around 5pm ( which kind of sucks, because it gets dark pretty fast).

Anyways, I realized last week that I didn't post, which is quite uncharacteristic of me because I have always posted a post once a week :( my apologies to would be readers. But what to update you on, other than the usual midterms?

Well, this Monday was the last "Meet the Scientist" Event, where we were honored to have Dr. Monique Scott, an anthropologist from AMNH at the Macaulay Building. It's been a while since I went to the building, and it reminded me of how gorgeous the architecture and location is. Hopefully next term I'll be taking a class there, orin the area more in general, so that I can use the reading room ( which looks like it came right out of a chic IKEA catalogue picture) to study for whatever comes my way. Suggestion: Take at least one MHC or one honors course at the brownstone, so this way not only do you experience the building on a daily basis, but also get to meet awesome Macaulay kids from other campuses.

I came into the "Meet the Scientist" event with the misconception that it would be long and boring. It was anything but long and boring- instead of it stretching from 6-8, we got out at 7, armed with a greater sense of appreciation and knowledge on how visitors to museums react and interact with displays in museums.

With Thanksgiving around the corner, it automatically brings to mind how registration for next term's classes is also nearing. What sucks with the honors catalogue is the lack of options, especially for a pre-med/pre-dental student who would like to take honors classes in Biology, Chemistry ( solutions chemistry is sort of unnecessary as its an extra class in addition to our hell of a load organic chem and gen chem classes), physics or environmental sciences. And what about those MHC( I still call them CHC, has a nicer ring) classes? Only about 4 options leaves one with barely any movement or choice for possible spring semester schedules.

But with that aside, yesterday night was a departure from the usual, with a nice walk on the Brooklyn Bridge at night ( my first time ever!) and the best pizza EVER from Grimaldi's. My friend and I had also wanted to see that "hidden" subway station near the Brooklyn Bridge (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_newsroom/20101109/od_yblog_newsroom/a-secret-subway-stop). I was extremely excited to see the gleaming and well lit architecture of the station from the past, but instead, we only saw random train traffic lights underground, despite us both craning our necks and having our eyes peeled for the station ( if anyone else has done this, can you tell me how and when you saw it ? We went at around 9pm- maybe the lights of the underground hidden station were off, so it was hard to differentiate that between the 6 train tunnel and the hidden station tunnel).

After such an awesome Friday night, here we are back to the Saturday stuck inside a library rather than free outside. Hopefully the clouds I'm seeing on my dashboard for Sunday are inaccurate, because I would love to be able to frolic and enjoy the great green expanses of a city park tomorrow under a bright and warm sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment