Thursday, November 4, 2010

goodbye new york rain, hello ithaca snow!

naturally when the chill set into new york, I headed up northwest to ithaca for some worse chill (because I love feeling like my fingers are going to fall off). goodbye macaulay, hello cornell! lucky for me, I convinced mom to pitch in half the bus fare because I'm going to help out with grandma when she's in madrid with dad...the cornell bus is ever so pricey (but so worth it). lucky for me, class ends at 4pm on thursdays and the campus to campus bus leaves at 5:40pm from 71st & york, giving me all of an hour and forty minutes to shimmy shake down to the mid-manhattan library to pick up a book and boogie back up to 71st & york with 3 large bags on my back & 2 elbows. could I do it?

well, one nasty librarian, one near-arm-loss-in-subway-door, multiple jaywalks, one dinner pickup, two subway rides, one misaddressed building and six flights of stairs later...I am on the bus in the seat that I wanted. my nice little single sear where I don't have to sit next to anyone, move when they have to pee, request them to move when I have to pee, constantly worry about kneeing them when I sit indian style or let them overhear my eclectic taste in music. I am a happy camper.

just saying, some people really do not know how to be polite on a bus. guidelines to being a polite bus-rider:
1. do not talk on your cell phone! no one wants to hear you!
2. keep your music down.
3. keep your damn socks on.
4. don't be larger than the seat allows. otherwise, book 2 seats. (seriously, airplanes make you do it!)
5. if you fall asleep...
a. do not fall asleep on the passenger next to you.
b. do not freaking snore. seriously.
6. don't bring your animal on the bus. snakes/dogs/cats/birds/rabbits...leave 'em home.


all that being said, there is a huge violation of numbers 1 & 6 going on right now. I wish I could upload a picture of the puppy laying on the floor of the back of the bus. what if I have to pee? I have to wake the sleeping pup? bad news, bears! also, seriously half the bus was in major violation of #1 earlier. as soon as we got on the bus, every had these thirty minute conversations that were clearly life or death matters. yeah, I think not. text it out. or e-mail -- you're all talking on blackberries anyway!

so that's my bus-rider analysis. I've been procrastinating this anthropology paper since 5:40pm when I got on the bus. le sigh. I guess it's time to start. happy weekending all, I'll be busy seeing kid cudi on saturday night. don't be too jealous please!

No comments:

Post a Comment