Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Practice Makes Perfect

I got my first assignment grades back for The Critical Perspective today. The class is really amazing - the professor is Michael Levitas, who was an op-ed editor for the New York Times, and the class is a combination of peer editing and guest speaking. Today's guest speaker was Alessandra Stanley, who is the New York Times' TV critic. It's really incredible to get to speak to people who are professionals in their fields (when you see how relatable they are, it's a real confidence boost!)

So my first two assignments were B's, which isn't too shabby considering I've never written an opinion column before. Hunter has helped me grow so much as a writer so far; my literary criticism has become so much stronger after taking English classes like James Joyce (English 389.89) and Jane Austen (389.55), and the creative writing workshops I've taken have really honed my skills as a fiction writer. (I'm not perfect - I don't think I'll ever be, but I've learned so much about the craft so far.) Now, not only Hunter, but Macaulay (Critical Perspectives is an honors course) is providing me the opportunity of building my foundation as a column/editorial/journalistic writer. I'm really excited to see how my writing grows throughout the semester! =)

-Katharine

No comments:

Post a Comment