Saturday, February 6, 2010

One week in, the semester is really picking up speed now; spring has an odd way of being more... serious than fall. Between taking only 13.5 credits and not working in a lab any more, I've come by large quantities of found time which makes it infinitely easier to sit down and digest the material I'm learning, and that in turn is making this semester very stimulating and exciting. I'm also excited to have started working with a researcher at the NYU psychology department, assisting with preliminary research for a book on human intelligence, and I'm applying to take money from my Opportunities Fund for the first time. Being a science major leave limited time for studying abroad, so my fund has been untouched so far; I'm finally getting a chance to use some of it as I'll be working at Johns Hopkins this summer. I also somehow had the impression that using the Opportunities Fund was incredibly difficult and complicated, but so far it's been very straightforward - some forms, a statement of justification, a short quiz - I'm almost done already.

This semester's CHC is on the future of New York, and for reasons best know to himself my professor decided to take us all out on a walking tour of lower Manhattan on a freezing cold morning. Here's us huddling to stay warm (there was no straggling on this field trip as we were all packed together):

We were also required to make a few sketches while we out there; witness my brilliant artwork:



To his credit, our professor did acknowledge our cold and made sure to stop indoors periodically, where we thawed somewhat:

OK, time to finish up that Statement of Justification.

No comments:

Post a Comment