Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Forms!

So I'm graduating in June, which means I've got lots of forms to fill out. I'm currently trying to take care of the Degree Audit Form, which is buried in a dark little corner of the Hunter website, and must be printed out hard-copy and filled in by hand. I got most of it done within my first couple days back at school, and double-checked with my advisor and all, but I've still got to have my major department (English) sign off on it, and I have to verify that I'm fulfilling the requirements for my major (French), because back in Spring 2009 Hunter changed its minor-requirements policy and everyone's still adjusting. I'm sure it won't be a hassle once the new requirements are more firmly established, but right now you have to run around double-checking that you're fulfilling the requirements for your minor and it's a bit of a pain.

In other news, I did two days of training last week for my internship with the Legal Aid Society's Manhattan Criminal Defense Practice. Yesterday, Monday, was my first day there. I'm an Investigator Intern, which means I'll be going around looking into facts of cases, verifying the stuff the police find, interviewing witnesses, etc etc etc. My first day, I just tagged along with an investigator who had to serve a couple subpoenas and take pictures of a few building entrances. I can't really say any more than that, partially because of client-attorney privilege, partially because I don't know much about the case. In any event, it involved sitting in a tiny little waiting room next to some random guy who started telling us not to do drugs, and segued from there into his own life story, presumably to illustrate his point. I'll be back tomorrow (weather permitting), and shadow another investigator, and eventually I'll start actually doing stuff myself.

On an utterly unrelated note, one of my classes seems to be suffering from Writing Workshop Attrition Syndrome, a condition whose symptoms include 1/4-1/3 of the class, on any given day, saying to its collective self, "You know what? My story's not getting workshopped today, so why should I bother showing up?" Most irritating.

No comments:

Post a Comment