Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Shoutout to ratemyprofessors.com

As you may know, there are good professors and there are bad professors out there, and at Hunter, this is no exception. Freshman fall, I have no idea how I picked my classes, I forget if it was my advisor? Or just because the times looked nice? I don’t remember, but I really wish I had found out about ratemyprofessors.com a few weeks earlier than I did. Or at least talk to some people.

Since my parents and brothers said I should take economics because job blah opportunities blah good with Chinese, whatever, so I signed up for macroecon, but the class was horrible. The professor read right off the slides, which he posted online, that is if you could hear him, and if you could hear him, then understand what he was saying. I fell asleep in every class, if I actually went. It was so boring I never wanted to take economics again.

Everyone I talked to said give econ one more chance, so this semester I decided to take microecon to see if it was any better than macro. I used ratemyprofessors.com and I’m so glad I made my decision off of that. My econ professor this semester is funny, entertaining, passionate and all that other good stuff. He may ramble on sometimes, but the whole class usually seems interested and the conversations can get pretty intense. Only about one month into the semester, and I already want to continue on with economics.

This professor also warned our entire class about which professors and classes you chose in your academic career. He emphasized that teachers can really make or break classes, and that you should do your research before choosing. Also if you want advice, regarding whatever you are interested in, he recommends to come talk to the actual professors more than anyone else. My friend and I are planning on going to one of our prof's office hours and just chat it up to get to know him a little more. 

Okay back to choosing professors. Starting from freshman spring, I have done research on all my professors and so far I’m relatively pleased with who I choose. But sometimes when you register the professor will be listed as “Staff” and you just have to get lucky, as I did with my into to computer science class. The professor is really sweet and goes over everything thoroughly.

Because I like both microecon and into to compsci so much, I'm planning on majoring in one or the other. I already have my Chinese major declared, but for the flagship program you need one more non-language major, so hopefully I will end up liking one or the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment