Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Rain, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, an old post I forgot to publish

Hello all,

It is 3:12 AM on October 14th, 2013 and I have just eaten a very cute pouch (ok..packet is the better word, but pouch of food seems very...My Father's Dragon-y) of gluten free cookies. This week, or past few, my life activities have not been enough to really warrant a blog post. Or maybe they were but I just didn't feel the blog writing spirit you know?
But anyway, about them past few weeks:  I made 10 pages worth of sharpie marker-colored notes on different medicines and memorized the shiz (the shizAM!) out of them. I sang Jesus Take The Wheel when I needed to let go of ...my studying (which I imagine would translate to my version of Carrie's wheel). I became better friends with people in my program, and stole paper from the library and then got caught. I usually am excellent with handling embarrassing situations as I put myself in them often, but this one was quite bad. The life of crime is not for me. I got caught in the rain with my laptop, bags upon bags of groceries, newly acquired clothing and of course no hat or umbrella. See short story down below for details. I watched Brooklyn Nine-Nine (awesome show!) and now am the proud owner of an expo-board on my door which is totally filled with writing from my real live friends. I thought my professor hated me, and plotted revenge only to confront her and find out that she did not hate me at all and I was being extremely sensitive. I sang "As Time Goes By" with my elderly patient and he said I was a riot! Which is my favorite compliment ever!

Other than that, my days have been exceedingly average. I bought a couple of YA fiction books on amazon, and some old ladies at the book sale rang me up for 10 books for 10 bucks! It was great. Also, it is beautiful outside. No, it's actually so gorgeous out. I am really not able with the colors and blue blue sky blinding me every time I'm outside.

College related things: do the macaulay factfinder for free stuff! Don't hand in your post-study abroad evaluations late! Be on time to nursing school!

Have a great week!


Watery Trek of Doom, by Amirah Yasin

Was umbrella-less in the downpour today, and of course decided that was the best time to trek uptown with my bags upon bags of groceries, laptop and clothing. It was not enough that I also took the wrong train uptown. (Interestingly enough, to get downtown, you must not take the uptown train. Who would have thought? Also, once you've secured your train, you must realize that to get to prince street, you should not wait for there to be a "Prince Street" stop on the 6 train and forget that you're supposed to get off at Spring Street). I also failed in the cab experience, ended up walking to my destination and then got it in my head that walking back from spring street to 23rd was a brilliant idea right as it began to pour. On the way, as the streets emptied and I passed cleverer new yorkers that were hopping into taxis left and right, or taking shelter under store banners/in cafes, a saleslady from a nifty DVD store (I was lured in with promises of DVDs galore for only $5.99!) chortling-ly offered me a napkin, so wet was I. However, the wet have dignity under their soaked exterior, and I unwisely refused her napkin only to continue viewing the world through unseemly rain spattered spectacles of doom. After what seemed like an endless amount of time, I passed West 3rd street and shrieked joyfully at the sight of numbered streets, finally! The gaggle of NYU students snickering behind me did not faze me, for they were quite warm under their umbrellas and did not have to worry about journeying back to the Land of Numbered Streets as I did. After more weary trudging on my part and a few pep talks to myself to keep going (at this point, I reasoned that if people were staring it was because of how well I pull off the "trekking through rain sopping wet with 5 bags and muttering/alternately singing "Counting Stars" to self), I decided that if I were to die, it would be here, sad and alone, on the streets of soho, caught in the downpour. I would be undiscovered for days, hidden under layers of clothing too unfashionable to be noticed by anyone nearby. Evil pigeons would eventually find me under cups of trader joe mango yogurt, and the police would later conclude that my last meal was a pitiful piece of banana.

No comments:

Post a Comment