Friday, October 25, 2013

Wins and Losses

Hi, everyone.

Here I am at the end of another week filled with ups and downs.
My week started off pretty awesome because I won the "Macaulay Monday FactFinder" raffle last week, and I had to pick up my prize this week. Macaulay started this raffle a couple of weeks ago in order to encourage students to read "Macaulay Monday", which is a weekly newsletter sent out to Macaulay students about various events and opportunities. At the bottom of the last three Macaulay Mondays, there was a question about something featured in the email for that week. If you answer the featured question correctly, you'll be entered to win the prize for that week. More info can be found here: http://macaulay.cuny.edu/community/now/2013/10/play-macaulay-monday-october-factfinder/

Last Friday, I got an email saying that I won so on Monday, I went to the Macaulay building to pick up my Macaulay shirt and $10 Starbucks gift card. I ended up walking across Central Park instead of taking the bus. It was actually really beautiful in the park. 

After I picked up my prize, I decided to hang around in the area for awhile. There are all these cool cultural institutions in the area. There's an awesome water display/fountain right in front of the Metropolitan Opera House. I sat right by the fountain and ate my lunch while reading a newspaper. The roar of the water display behind me blocked out all of the other sounds so it was relaxing to just sit there for awhile. Then I made my way over to some benches in front of Lincoln Center, and I read for Religion class. I love the feeling of studying/doing hw outside. I feel like I can breathe, you know? And it feels a lot less lonely. So I had a really nice Monday.

The next three days were tough because I had to study for a bio quiz and a physics test. Yuck. I took the bio quiz last night. It was a ridiculously hard quiz, and everybody left the lecture just dejected. I was upset about it  too, but I knew I had to gather myself because I had to take a physics test at 8 AM the next day. I was still feeling pretty depressed about that quiz and about some other things this morning. But then I saw an email from my professor that said that he would not be counting the quiz! Instead he would assign it as extra credit HW, and we'll just get two quizzes next week instead of one. I was sitting in the Student Resource Center when I read the email, and I seriously had to hold back tears so that the people around me wouldn't think that I was a crazy girl who cried while reading her emails. haha. It just made me feel so much better about things. 

Later in the day, I spent four hours in bio lab working with E. coli. We actually have interesting labs. I'm just always exhausted afterwards because they're so long. There's also a great group of people in the class so it makes things easygoing and just a lot more fun.

So after starting off on a good note and having a bit of a hard time in the middle, I ended the week nicely! And the best part is that Grimm is back tonight!

S.

Quote of the Week

“Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.”

~ George Eliot

No comments:

Post a Comment