Monday, October 7, 2013

Halloween

It is officially a week into October, which has always been my qualification for the start of Halloween season. Last year, we really didn't have a Halloween, since Hurricane Sandy hit only two days before. Halloween was spent eating candy and watching movies at my friend Stacey's house, which while it was fun, wasn't exactly what we all had wanted.

This year though, my friends and I are going all in to make up for it. There is a massive Halloween parade in the village, and although everyone says its a crazy tourist trap thats so busy you can barely stand it, I really want to go. I also want to figure out how you trick-or-treat in a city, when everything is apartment buildings with locked entries.

 One of my friends (Stacey, she's on the blog too) is going as Plankton, another friend is going as Him from the Powerpuff Girls, and I'm... I'm..... I'm really bad at coming up with costumes.

My current best plan is going either as Mandy, from the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, or as Boomer, the blue Rowdyruff Boy. I don't like putting a lot of effort into my costumes, which is likely why they'll be pretty awful. Part of me just wants to combine as many ostentatious patterns as possible, buy a pair of glasses, and go as a hipster. But I'm scared someone will compliment me on a great outfit.

Maybe I can buy a tan shirt and a pair of khakis and go as a Jedi Padawan. I have a brown cape back home from a couple of years ago, and I'm sure my little brother still has a toy lightsaber somewhere. I can pick up a little braid extension from a dollar store or my baby cousin. (I say "little brother" and "baby cousin", but they're 15 and 13, respectively. They'll just always be munchkins to me.)

I went as a Shadowhunter from The Mortal Instruments a couple years ago, but maybe I can do that again and people will actually realize what I am, other than a girl in leather with weird tattoos.

If you've got any advice, or an opinion on costumes, I'd be happy to have a stranger's outlook on things.

No comments:

Post a Comment