Sunday, September 29, 2013

End of the Month, September

So last week was our second full week in a row (and our fifth in total), and I have to say I'm surprised at how fast it is going. It might help that I have Mondays off completely, but I still think I would say it were going fast. The days don't seem to, as they're happening, but now that it's the weekend and another week is just around the corner, I'm like "Woah, where'd the week go?" I feel like I've said the same thing and held the same sort of sentiment since sophomore year in high school, but I definitely always feel it. Also, the thing about university is that it is quicker - you only take a course for one semester instead of, how I believe most classes are done in high school, for an entire year. And this semester, I am taking five courses (which is A LOT, but actually quite a few less than in high school): Chinese, a Political Science course that is about American Criminal Law, a Human Rights course titled International Justice and Policy, the Science and Technology Macaulay seminar, and Arabic 101! I'm really happy with my courses, overall, and even though this is the MHC seminar I'm probably least suitable for, it's actually not too bad because our big project has to do with international environmental policies and whatnot. I think my favourite course at the moment has to be my Human Rights course, because we've already seen 2 speakers and it's really interesting, and incorporates international justice with a bit of history and of course human rights issues, all of which I'm really interested in. I am enjoying most of my other classes too, and even though Arabic is SO DIFFICULT, I am really excited about learning a new language..

As we are approaching a new month, I thought I'd just write about a few things that I experienced this month that I thought were worthy of being talked about. The first is the fact that there is a new Pret right by the 6 train on 23rd street; bad for my wallet, good for my taste buds! I've actually been quite surprised by how many of my friends don't know Pret! They have them in England, and my family often likes to stop in (whether in NY or in England somewhere) for a quick sandwich or soup, on a cold day. Now I've had two sandwiches, both actually last week, which I really loved and highly recommend. The first was the Chicken and Bacon sandwich, which was something I had rushing to Human Rights on Wednesday and was quite filling and definitely a good late lunch/early dinner thing. The second was something that I picked up on my way home on Friday, and is called the Bang Bang Chicken. It's one of their new wraps, and has a bit of a kick - so if you don't like spicy, you might not want to try. Both of them were very filling and very yummy!

Another mentionable was the Colour Run which I volunteered at with Stacey and Sam. My shoes and bag are still bright pink! We didn't actually run it, but I still think that volunteering was a lot of fun and a bit of hard work. I would definitely recommend signing up to volunteer at a 5K sometime; charity ones (which I've volunteered at before) are really good because it's for a good cause, and even if you aren't running, you're still showing support. But even 5K's that are just for fun are good to volunteer at because you get to see these people who are having a lot of fun exercising, and you know with ones like the colour run you get to have some fun too. And as Macaulay students, we're always looking out for ways to get in our community service hours (need to go find that sheet so I can claim my hours!).

And just a quick last thing which I saw just this weekend, but put a smile on my face for old times is this video of Kurt Hugo Schneider and Lindsey Stirling on Youtube. They made a Pokémon Dubstep Remix and it is awesome! I don't know if you were into Pokémon as a kid, but I was and I thought this was a cute throwback.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment