Sunday, April 21, 2013

Life organization!

Hey everyone,

After taking a look at my last post, I realized it seems kind of all over the place, and you may be wondering if life as a Macaulay at Hunter student is always so hectic.  And the truth is, it doesn't have to be!  Life's always going to get crazy.  But it's at precisely those times that you need to take a step back and figure out how you got there, so that you can avoid it next time. 

About two weeks ago, I was definitely there.  There was just too much work, and not enough time.  So after getting overwhelmed and frustrated with my work, I made myself stop thinking about it and just do it instead.  And after that, I gave myself some time to think about how to not let that happen again.

You may have seen one of my recent posts about list making, so as you can see, getting organized is a continuous process, and not always just an achievement.  Before college, I had never really had to develop "study habits".  No matter how much you do in or out of school, your time is pretty well structured, and the work is straightforward enough so it doesn't involve too much planning.  But in college, your schedule is totally different--you're in charge of setting up your class schedule in a way that's conducive to your study schedule, and vice versa. 

So I'm (very slowly!) coming to terms with the fact that I will probably never have "perfect" study habits, that there will always be something I can work on a little better or a little more.  In the meantime, I found this site:  http://calnewport.com/blog/, that I've found really helpful in getting my self on a schedule when it comes to my work.  It's such a great blog, that it makes you want to get to work, instead of reading!  (That's really a compliment!  The advice is so straightforward and logical that you'll understand how and want to implement it, instead of wanting to browse the site.  You'll want to do that too, of course.  But after you finish your work =P)

Any readers have any tips about organization/time management for students?  Or questions about how to handle it all?  You can leave them in the comments below =]

Until next time,
G.

No comments:

Post a Comment