Saturday, April 27, 2013

Flowers and Fencing


This past Friday was absolutely gorgeous out, so naturally a few friends and I wanted to spend time outside, but for a change we decided to trek to the southern tip of Manhattan. We hit up Chinatown for some cheap food first, and then walked off all the greasy goodness as we headed toward Battery Park. We snaked around the financial district, which was pretty cool since I’m never there that often. It’s always amusing to visit new parts of the city. Anyway, the park was still damaged from Sandy, but nonetheless it was still pleasant. We sat right near the water with a picture perfect view of Lady Liberty, and to our backs were tons of pretty flowers, as well as little baby plants peeping their heads up through the soil. There’s nothing like a trip to the park to help you forget all about your work and responsibilities, but hey, we all need that every now and then.

Later that night I decided to try something else new, fencing lessons! Some friends and I found a groupon for fifty percent off a few classes, so we figured why not.  None of us had ever fenced before, but we all ended up having a super fun time and now really want to continue learning the sport. Groupon has some awesome deals for gyms, fitness classes and other stuff you would probably never think of ever doing because it either doesn’t cross your mind, or because it’s normally way too expensive. I recommend trying something new off groupon at least once. I did, and I ended up really liking it.

After the class we got frozen yogurt and sat on a bench in the middle of Broadway to cool off. (We got ten percent off the froyo with our school ids, which made us all happy even if it was only fifty cents or so.) The class was on the upper west side, so we decided to not move too far to hang. They have little benches and foliage in the middle of the street up there, so we talked and ate for a bit. It’s weirdly calming to watch taxis zoom by with trees and tulips behind you and friends by your side.  

Friday was totally unproductive, but so are many of my weekends, so I really need to lock myself in my room and get work done. As my parents always say, “Do you ever have time for homework?”  The city allows so much opportunity for new adventures, but again, I tend to remind myself that I’m at school to study.

No comments:

Post a Comment