Saturday, April 20, 2013

Boston, Saks, and Observations

Hi, everyone.

We just had quite a dramatic Friday evening to say the least. My heart breaks for everyone who was affected by the bombings in Boston. It's just senseless. I will never understand why people feel the need to hurt each other and cause such terrible tragedies. The most important thing to remember is that we must continue to be as kind, genuine, and honest as possible. It is the only way to fight all of the horrible things that go on in this world.

Apart from what was happening in Boston, yesterday was actually a nice day. My bio lab finished early so I decided to take a long walk and visit some stores. I visited Saks for the first time. I was really impressed with the decor of each floor. It's clear that the store made a lot of effort into giving each floor a unique design. There were a lot of different colors and textures (and mannequins!). 

When I visited the shoe floor, the first thing I encountered was Saks' Louboutin collection. There is no doubt that they are beautiful shoes, but they have like 6 inch heels and cost like $2000. There's no way that a normal human being can walk in those shoes without deforming her feet (not to mention her wallet). I know people say that somehow pain is needed to be beautiful. I don't believe that. Beauty is something that should be natural. Not something that you need to "work on" or suffer for. Anyway, seeing those shoes just made me think about the ridiculous things women will do to look good. 

I also got a chance to go to Tiffany's, which had some awesome jewelry! Everything there is like super sparkly, and it's like being in a museum. I can't afford any of the stuff, but maybe one day. 

It was fun to walk down Fifth Avenue. There are always a ton of people there. I always find it strange that I can see a bunch of native New Yorkers, a bunch of tourists, and the occasional homeless person digging through garbage all on the same block. Some people are spending $2000 on shoes they can't walk in and others are sifting through garbage just to survive. I just don't get that. Is it capitalism? Is it New York? Or is it just the plain old cruel world? 

Last thought: One of my Facebook statuses this week was "Lesson #2351: Self-acceptance is the first step to true happiness." If you don't accept all of your flaws along with your awesomeness, you're never going to get anywhere. Might seem obvious, but it's hard to do. 

S.


I'll leave you with an empowering song.

Song of the Week


Welcome to the fallout
Welcome to resistance
The tension is here
The tension is here
Between who you are and who you could be
Between how it is and how it should be, yeah

I dare you to move
I dare you to move
I dare you to lift yourself up off the floor
I dare you to move
I dare you to move like today never happened
Today never happened

Maybe redemption has stories to tell
Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell
Where can you run to escape from yourself?
Where you gonna go?
Where you gonna go?

Salvation is here

"Dare You to Move" by Switchfoot

No comments:

Post a Comment