Friday, September 19, 2014

Food and Books

Hey, everyone!

It's a Friday night, and you guys are getting a post from me! Yay! haha.

I went home straight after class this time and then went grocery shopping with my mom. I still ended up feeling exhausted so I took a nap. Now, I'm feeling much more refreshed so here I go with this post!

I don't know how I ever managed to have afternoon bio lab on Fridays for 2 years and still write a post here. I think my easier schedule this semester (see next paragraph) is babying me. But this MCAT cloud over my head is definitely an extra stressor in the picture for this semester that was not there in previous years.

I had a relatively quiet week, which is great. Actually, all of my weeks have been quiet thus far because it's still the beginning of the semester and because I'm only taking 3 classes (since I'm preparing for my January MCAT). I never complain about quiet weeks because I know the pain of crazy, "I'm going to pull my hair out" weeks so I'm just keeping up with homework and thanking the powers that be that things haven't gotten too rocky yet.

I have a lunch recommendation for you guys! Getting a healthy and delicious lunch for a decent price in the Upper East Side is definitely a challenge because the area is so wealthy, and the restaurants don't necessarily cater to us Hunter students but to the UES community at large. But there are definitely a few places that I've found over the years that have good food, and don't leave me feeling broke. I like bringing food with me from home so I don't have as much experience with the food scene here as some other students, but I do have a few places that I consistently go to.

This past Tuesday, I added to that list of places when I visited Ginza, which is a Japanese fusion restaurant. My friends have been going here for years and have always liked it, but for some reason, it took me till senior year to get myself over there. haha. I have a long day on Tuesdays (my last class ends at 7:20 PM) so I wanted something that would fill me up. My friend said that they have great bento boxes with a ton of food so I decided to get a chicken teriyaki one. Not only was everything yummy, but I was full for hours afterwards. In the box itself, there were 6 pieces of California rolls, chicken teriyaki with veggies, rice, and shumai. There was also miso soup and a green salad on the side. All for $13.05. Great deal for when you're having a long day, and a sandwich just won't do.

Wednesday was stressful/relieving because I gave in my Opp Fund application to my Macaulay advisor. Since my summer internship was unpaid, I wanted to use some of the money from my Opp Fund to "pay myself". The Opp Fund is one of the best parts about Macaulay. There a few components to the application, but it's nothing crazy complicated. But of course, I always stress about having everything in place before I give it in. But now, it's done, and I wait for the decision!

I'll be heading over to the Brooklyn Book Festival on Sunday. If you live in the city and love books, you should definitely check it out! I went last year, and it was great! I think writers are such inspirational people, and you feel good about things when you hear them talk.

S.

Quote of the Week

“Study without desire spoils the memory, and it retains nothing that it takes in.” 

~ Leonardo da Vinci

No comments:

Post a Comment