Tuesday, September 23, 2014

An Artistic Weekend

Hello all!

This past weekend has been a whirlwind of art and activity! As much fun as it has been, I've been extremely busy and am very excited to have three days off this week! I'm especially looking forward to my days off as it means my mom and my grandma will be visiting me. Although a month is not a long time, it is the longest amount of time I've ever gone without seeing my mom before, so I miss her of course and I'm very excited to have the opportunity to show her and my grandma around my new home and my new city!

But, to get back to my weekend, it all began on Friday night when I got all dressed up and headed to the Frick Collection for their third annual Teen Night, an event co-hosted by Museum Teen Summit. A girl I'm friends with is an active member of MTS and a very avid museum-goer and curator whose life revolves around art so she invited me to go and was thrilled when I showed up. I will admit that the event was mostly high school students, but it was still nice to get to explore the galleries and the opulent rooms when they're less crowded and wonderful gallery talks were provided that were insightful and very fascinating. Additionally, a string quartet played music throughout the evening and a dinner was served by Le Pain Quotdien, making for a classy and stimulating evening.

This theme carried through to my Saturday, when i attended a lecture at the Baryshnikov Arts Center. This gorgeous building was conceived and constructed by the preeminent ballet dancer Mikhail Baryshnikov, one of the greatest artists of the twentieth century. The building contains performance and display spaces for all kinds of performance art, as well as studios on the upper floors for artists-in-residence to develop new and original works. The lecture was a fascinating question and answer format talk with Mr. Baryshnikov himself, one of his employees, and a major philanthropist of the center. They spoke at length about the center, its goals, and the purpose of art in our society and the way the government's policies regarding funding shape the way art is taught and formed in our country. I found the lecture to be very interesting and learned quite a bit. Exactly what I would expect from a master of his craft and such a prominent figure in the art world! After, we all had an opportunity to meet Mikhail, who told us to call him Misha, and take photos with him. He was very nice and extremely funny! It was certainly an unforgettable experience.

All things considered, it was an excellent weekend and it was full of artistic enrichment and fun times. It seems like there is never a shortage of fascinating and unique things to do courtesy of Macaulay and/or the people I've met and connections I've made. Once again, another excellent week. Today marks exactly one month since I've moved to the city, which is extremely surreal because it simultaneously feels like I've been here for much longer and much shorter! But anyway, I've loved practically every minute of it and can't imagine living out my college career anywhere else! Well, I should probably get some sleep, but I love you all, my beautiful readers, and have wonderful days and weeks until you hear from me again! Goodnight!

~ Adam Hobbins '18

No comments:

Post a Comment