Monday, September 22, 2014

I Took A Walk

Hey all,

It’s my third year of college! I’m now closer to the end than beginning. That’s a weird feeling. So freshman (and everyone else), I know you’ve heard this already, but your time here goes fast, so make of it what you want.

Anyway, the other day I was walking home (to the Brookdale dorm) from school and I thought about who else might take this walk. Most dorm residents take the train or a bus to school and from school, and on most days I’m doing the same. However, every now and then I like to walk home. Some people think it’s a waste of time or too long of a walk, but I disagree. At a leisurely pace, you can get from Hunter to Brookdale in an hour or less. Moreover, it can be a rather enjoyable walk. Typically, I take the walk downtown on Park Avenue. Although this isn’t the most direct route, I find it to be most pleasant. From 68th Street to 46th Street, you can watch the upscale life of Park Avenue. Also, car traffic is divided on Park Avenue by strips of green in the middle of the street. This space provides a place for temporary sculptures and other works of art that change throughout the year. While I’ve not always enjoyed the art chosen to decorate Park Avenue, I always look forward to see what is currently there. 

One of the sculptures currently on display are part of Ewerdt
Hilgemann's series of stainless steel "Implosion" sculptures. 

The Helmsley Building as seen from Park Avenue
(photo courtesy of nyc-architecture.com)

Then, on 46th Street stands the impressive Helmsley Building, which looms over the the middle of Park Avenue. Short tunnels run through the building, routing both pedestrian and automobile traffic through the building.


Once you walk through the Helmsley Building, you are met with Grand Central, another fun building to walk through rather than around. After exiting Grand Central, you’re left around 42nd with only 17 more streets and a few avenues to travel before you’re back at the Brookdale Campus. I encourage everyone to try walking home from school on day when you have time and the weather is nice. I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment