Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Falling Into a Regular Routine

Hello all!

I'm back again for my second post ever! Last week I posted on Sunday night, but today I'm posting on Monday night instead because I was trying to get ahead on some math homework last night. However, in the future I'd like to post on Sunday nights as often as possible since that's a night when I'm sure I'll be home each week, and I can look back at my whole week in review and write a post about the highlights! That being said, let's move on to the week I've just had!

So, most of all this week was defined by the fact that I'm starting to fall into a routine. I have my schedule memorized now and am getting used to things like the weekly homework assignments, my walk to the subway each morning, and doing my laundry, grocery shopping, cooking, etc. Although there was something nice about the whirlwind quality of the first few weeks, it definitely feels good and comforting to be fitting into a regular routine now. It makes me feel much more at home, not only in the dorm, but just at Hunter in general.

On the other hand, there are definitely still interesting things happening in my life! For example, I went to Governor's Island on Saturday to see a play called "Trade Practices" for my Macaulay seminar. I had never been to Governor's Island before and was very excited to see what it was like! Unfortunately, the weather turned out to be rather chilly and wet and it poured rain for a good portion of the day, but it was still a good day overall. The island was lovely and very historic with gorgeous views of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty. The play turned out to be extremely unique as it was a type of play called 'site-specific' theater, meaning it can only be performed in that particular location. This is because audience members had to walk from room to room during the course of the play, and the audience members had to actively decide which scenes to watch and which storyline to follow. It was very interactive, very unique, and very immersive. All in all, it was quite the experience! Later this week the director is coming in to speak to my seminar class and I can't wait to hear what she has to say.

The following day, Sunday, was another exciting day for me! On the second day of Macaulay orientation, I signed up for the PIED Filmmakers Collective, originally intending to be an actor. While I was placed in their permanent cast, they don't use all cast members for all films. Yesterday they filmed and produced their first film of the year and, not having been cast, I volunteered to be a production assistant for the shoot. I had never in my life been on a film set before, let alone worked in producing a movie! It was all very professional and very exciting! The job they assigned to me was to hold the sheets of storyboard and the book outlining which shots would be captured from which camera positions. Therefore, I ended up being responsible for keeping track of which shots had already been filmed, which camera angles we had to switch to next, and which actors we still needed to use and which could go home. It felt great to be trusted with so much responsibility and I think the directors were very impressed with how organized I was! All in all, it was an interesting new experience and I can't wait to get more involved!

And on that note, I should probably take my leave! I look forward to writing to you all again next week and hope everyone has a wonderful week! Take care and be well!

~ Adam Hobbins '18

No comments:

Post a Comment