Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Greetings everyone!

     My name is Anniesa. I am a freshman at Macaulay Honors College at Hunter College. This past month has been a great adjustment from high school. I went to a small high school that was a 25-30 minute drive from my house. Now I live in the Brookdale dorms and I commute to Hunter everyday. The timing from the dorms to Hunter is pretty much the same as the time from my home to my high school. But that's probably the only similarity! I was so used to having that time in the car to relax, enjoy my neighborhood, or study for the test I was having that day. Now, there is a lot more responsibility involved. I can still enjoy the neighborhood. I mean we're in Manhattan! But I had to get used to taking the "ride" to school with hundreds of other people. I've learned so far to always be aware of your surroundings. Also, don't be afraid to say, "Getting off! This is my stop!" You definitely do not want to miss your stop and be late to class because of it. I like taking the 6 train but there are many ways of getting to Hunter. Find the one that works best for you and use that one. Give yourself extra time and always have a back-up plan just in case there are any delays.
     As for classes, I am still learning how to get the professors to know me. I have, however, found it really helpful to make friends with your classmates. Even if you like working by yourself, as I often like to, your classmates offer reassurance, something we all innately look for. They will help guide you in the right direction and help you when you're unsure or stuck.
     For workload, I have found it helpful to plan out your days with the assignments you have to do, those you need to work on, and those that are long-term projects. I usually try to do a minimum of a three-day plan so I can rearrange if the professor assigns something that is not on the syllabus.
The gaps between classes are great for doing homework! I recommend that you always bring an assignment to work on. If you don't, you end up wasting time doing a whole lot of nothing.
     Finally, I have learned that you have to take the challenges one day at a time in adjusting to college life. You begin to treasure all the little things you enjoy so much more and learn how to rationalize through any struggles. There is a lot of time where you just have to breathe and remind yourself of your goals, both short-term and long-term.

No comments:

Post a Comment