Friday, February 1, 2013

Le Nouveau Semestre

Mon but ce semestre est de parler, d'écrire et de respirer le français. But of course this wouldn't quite work here. Regardless, I've decided that one class a semester for a french minor just simply isn't enough exposure. As a pre-med and psychology major my schedule is pretty occupé yet I'll find the way. Over the break I took a winter class, Psychology 180-Brain and Behavior. It was one of the best classes I've ever taken at Hunter College. Its right up there with Français 211-la grammaire et la composition intermédiaire. We saw un cerveau -- that's right-- a real human brain stored in a glass jar. Its origins unknown as not even the current psych department teachers know how old the brain is--or whose it was. The only downside to the class was that it met from 5-8 and that is officially the latest I've ever been in school. It was totally worth it though. Just like listening to French music and watching movies in French, my way of gaining more exposure.

Changing to my major, I'm a psychology TA this semester and I must say it is an excellent opportunity to try. I loved statistics, the 248 course I took over the summer. It left quite an impression. Learning a new computer program, SPSS and inputing data, watching it all analyze so clearly into patterns and meaningful output was intéressant. So now I'm back at the lab again, this time as an assistant. It is a great experience especially since grad school is still an option. I'm sure there will be many things to work out--like how to grade, but it most certainly gives me a newfound appreciate for teachers. It isn't easy to come up with tests.

For those interested my other classes include: french 220-advanced conversation, orgo lec/lab (too much to say here in one blog post) and mhc seminar 4 (yay!). This semester is shaping up to be the most incroyable and plus fatigante yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment