Saturday, February 16, 2013

Here's to Not Breaking My Promise (Barely) and... Dinner at Gracie Mansion!

So my week was pretty fun. I didn't have school until Thursday, because of Lincoln's birthday and the way that my schedule works out. However, I haven't been feeling so well the last few days which is why I put off writing this until Saturday. However this is still week two of my promise and therefore I haven't broken it (yet)! Lincoln's birthday was more than just a day off school though - the kids in the Chinese Flagship program were invited to a Chinese New Year dinner at Gracie Mansion. Yes, the Mayor's house. It was adorable, and there were so many little finger foods being served by waiters walking around the entire first floor, that me and my friends did not follow around the entire night. Anyway, I actually didn't get to see much of the Mayor because when he came to give a speech where I was standing there happened to be a Lion Dancing-Lion in the way. However, it was still pretty exciting when he came out.
Can you see the Mayor's hand?
Now can you see it?
Just don't ever think a Lion Dance inside a packed house is a good idea...
It was so packed, and so loud!!
Afterwards my friends and I went on a Shake Shack run, which was fun and is probably the only time I will ever go to Shake Shack in such a nice dress. The night was a lot of fun, but I think I preferred my own Chinese New Year celebrations that my friends and I concocted last Sunday. We started pretty early and headed over to Williamsburg to go thrift shopping, where I found these adorable black ankle boots which I have since been wearing everywhere. Then we headed back across the bridge and went to the Shanghai Cafe on Mott Street for dinner. It happened to be that there were only two of us that really knew what we were talking about in terms of food, so we ordered, but luckily everyone enjoyed the food that we ordered so that was great. One of my friends and I even went back on Wednesday night for dinner, as well as returning to the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory for dessert.
The front view as we were leaving.
I really enjoy Chinese New Year, even though I have English parents, when I was little they always made a big deal about it so as to keep me connected to my heritage which I love. My dad even lamented to me earlier this week about not going out for dinner anymore; I have a younger brother who is also adopted and has mostly lost any connection to our heritage... But the festivities aren't over for me yet! Tonight is a Flagship Chinese New Year dinner in Chinatown and I'm very excited for the free feast, and to get together with some of my classmates and friends. So, now I'll leave you with a few pictures that were taken while at Gracie mansion.
From my friend's instagram: http://instagram.com/smarkers_
The view was beautiful, and this was just after Nemo!

No comments:

Post a Comment