Monday, February 25, 2013

Ski Trip

On the Saturday that just passed, I went on the Brookdale ski trip with a friend. I haven't gone skiing or snowboarding for about 5 years, so I was a bit doubtful of my abilities to stand on my skis. I'm more of a snowboarder than skier. My friend and I both wanted to snowboard, but the snowboards were all gone by the time we arrived so skis it was. We took the lesson and it turned out not so bad. We both were able to do everything that was taught.

The hardest part was going up the hill. We had to grab hold of the moving rope, which was going pretty fast. When we grabbed it, it jerked us forward and almost pulled our arms off. It's even harder holding the ski poles in our hands (which we dropped the first time). 

After mastering the bunny slope, it was time to take on the real thing. I literally had to beg my friend to go up the mountain with me, even though it was a green (easy) slope. We ran into a problem even before we got up there: how to get on the lifts. We kept watching other people go on and it looked so easy. By the time our turn came, the lift literally swept us off our feet. It was really frightening, since I was afraid of heights and there was nothing holing us in (We didn't know we could pull down the bar from above). The next problem was getting off the lift. We were thrown off and speeding off to a wall of ice.

The rest of the trip went smoothly, well, for me. I went down the mountain without falling down but my friend, since she doesn't know how to stop or slow down when going fast, fell once each time we came down the mountain. She still loved it though, except the part where her legs hurt.

2 comments: