Saturday, February 9, 2013

Believers Never Die

Ok guys. I'm gonna lay it straight for you. I've been a huge Fall Out Boy fan for the entirety of my life. I think I started when I was in 5th grade, maybe before then. They're my favorite band. They always have been and they always will be. When they went on hiatus in 2009, you could say I was a little more than bummed. BUT.

This Monday, February 4th, at 9:02 AM, I rolled out of bed to go to class. It was an ordinary day, a Monday. It was relatively gross outside and I really just wanted to roll back over in bed, forget about normal life, and sleep. Then I checked my Facebook. And lo and behold, Fall Out Boy was off hiatus. That's right. I screamed out loud and ran around my room, called both my parents and screamed into the phone at them about it, told my friends on the way to class, listened to their music all day, downloaded their new song, and basically had an emotional breakdown about their tour and new album.

My birthday is tomorrow and I've just acquired tickets to go see my favorite band live (for the first time in my life) in May, on two different dates. I'll have to drive 8 hours to see one of their shows, but the other show is right here in New York City! Getting those tickets was no easy feat, believe me. They sold out in under a minute, but I was ready and waiting as I watched the seconds flick by until it hit noon. My hard work paid off and I'm going to see my favorite band and I might (read as: will) cry of joy and ecstasy.

There could not have been a better birthday present from the universe than my favorite band coming off hiatus after 4 years and me (finally) getting tickets to see them live, right here in my hometown! Nevertheless, I've compiled a small list of things my parents can get me for my 19th birthday (new boots and a TON of books and music).

Otherwise, this weekend has been pretty uneventful. I went home Thursday night because I don't have classes on Fridays and I had decided to spend my birthday at home. Little did I know we'd get snowed in! We have about 2 and 1/2 feet of snow out here on Long Island (I live in Suffolk County, which was hit the hardest). I heard the city only got 6 inches. That's what happens when you live in the suburbs. I had to shovel snow all day yesterday, and I can feel it in my shoulders, back, and arms now. It's actually worse than a yoga workout. Either way, I got to spend some quality time with my parents, watching Elementary and eating Chinese food (the only place that will deliver during a snowstorm).

This has been a week of high emotional stress, but I've learned a valuable lesson. When Fall Out Boy went on hiatus, I was really upset. But I stuck it out for 4 years, hoping and praying they'd come back to make music together and that I'd get to see them live at least once. Now, my patience has paid off. As they say, good things come to those who wait! Or, as Fall Out Boy fans say: Believers Never Die.

Erica

P.S. Whoever said money didn't buy happiness has obviously never bought tickets for their favorite band.

No comments:

Post a Comment