Sunday, February 24, 2013

a 4 day week? didn't feel like it!

Hey everyone,

So I can't believe it's already Sunday… It feels like it's been such a long week, even though it was technically only four days of classes.  I didn't even really do too much!  I guess it was just the work that makes it feel like it's been two weeks instead of one.

I've been putting off writing a blog post because I wanted to write another long catch-up post about winter break/beginning of the semester stuff, but I think I'm going to just write shorter posts, more often for now instead.  I've been trying that method with my work for classes (because there is a lottt more this semester!) and it seems to have been helping my procrastination issues!  You see, I'm kind of a list maker, and when I can't cross something off my list, I don't want to do it…which often leads to problems with the bigger, long-term tasks, like "draft paper", or "read assigned book".

 So I've changed my attitude towards things like that and decided that instead of writing down such a vague task, I need to write down the smaller chunks that I can accomplish. The idea of breaking up my work into more manageable pieces isn't new, and I often do that, but honestly, writing it down made a huge difference! It seems like such a simple thing to realize. But like I said, I had the two strategies:  lists + dividing work; I just had to combine them to create a much better time management habit.  And so far it's going well, I feel so much more accomplished when I cross each item off my list.

So now that I'm finished telling you all about time management strategies that you probably already know…some other random news!  This week, I wrote an essay in German.  I'm taking German 302, Advanced Conversation and Composition, and it's definitely challenging, but I love it!  I'm only one class away from a German minor.  And hopefully, I'll become *fluent*.  Well, maybe not ever fully fluent…to be honest, I'm not entirely sure what being fluent in a language means...  Does it mean able to hold a conversation about something other than the weather fluent?  Or does it mean able to write an academic book fluent?

Now I'm curious…  because I've been saying I really want to become fluent in at least four languages!

Okay, so the most relevant definitions, according to Merriam-Webster's online dictionary are "capable of using a language easily and accurately", "effortlessly smooth and flowing", and/or, "having or showing mastery of a subject or skill".  I think I can handle that!  So yes, I would like to be fluent in German!  And, in at least two or three other languages.  I'm glad that's settled! =P

Wow, I'm really all over the place in this post!  Next time, I promise a more organized posts.

Without definitions. ;)

G.


No comments:

Post a Comment