Monday, February 4, 2013

Introspection

Hi, everyone! =)

Exactly one week has passed since the start of school. I'm starting to get into a routine now and starting to figure out the best time for homework, studying, and relaxing. One of the things that college has made me appreciate is time. When I was kid, I felt that time always passed so slowly. My school days stretched out in front of me and were filled with reading, homework, watching TV, and general leisurely activity. I pretty much never thought about time management. Now, I have to plan out my days so that I have enough time for both schoolwork and relaxing. My life feels much more structured. In one way, it's a good thing because there's almost always something to do. But there's hardly ever a time where I feel I can just not do anything and be guilt free. I'm always thinking about what notes to review and what reading assignments to finish. I've even started filling up my vacations with classes and other obligations. When I was younger, there were countless times when I would complain to my parents that I was bored. I honestly can never say "I'm bored" now, which is a great thing. I get much more tired than I ever did before, but my life is also more full than it ever was before.

Does anybody else out there watch Glee? It's really a great show. It addresses a lot of issues relevant to young people today, and I think it's important for teens to watch it so that they don't feel like they're alone. I remember how adolescence seemed to stretch out forever, but if you think about it, it's only a tiny portion of your life. When you're in the midst of all of that teen drama and angst, it can feel like there is no life outside of that, but they're definitely is. It's such a super confusing time so it can help to see that other kids are struggling with the same things as you are.
At the same time, I feel like as confusing as high school is, college is even more so confounding. I came into college thinking that I had some kind of grasp of who I was, but college quickly tore down that belief. The more exposed you are to the rest of the world, the more difficult it is to maintain a single core identity. But I think it is good to allow things to change you. Those who adapt best to new situations and explore new ideas will have the best chance at being successful and living a fulfilling life. That is essentially Darwin's theory.

This post is especially serious. haha. I get really introspective sometimes.

This week's "Song of the Week" happens to be another song by John Mayer. I picked this song because in orgo lab, we were measuring melting points, and it takes a while for the solid to completely turn to liquid. My lab TA came over to my partner and I, and we're like "We're waiting."  He's like, "Waiting for the world to change." and we all burst into laughter like the nerds we are. :p This song was the first thing that popped into my head.

So here you go:
(John Mayer should pay me for all the exposure I'm giving him. haha.)

S.

Song of the Week

Me and all my friends 
We're all misunderstood 
They say we stand for nothing and 
There's no way we ever could 

Now we see everything that's going wrong 
With the world and those who lead it 
We just feel like we don't have the means 
To rise above and beat it 

So we keep waiting 
Waiting on the world to change 
We keep on waiting 
Waiting on the world to change 


"Waiting on the World to Change" by John Mayer

No comments:

Post a Comment