Saturday, December 26, 2009

Frohe Weihnachten indeed!

A beautiful, beautiful Christmas with my family:

All of my siblings (3) and siblings in law (2) were there, plus my grandparents. A 10 person German dinner - Sauerbraten, potato balls (the best my mom ever made), red cabbage, rye bread, and plenty of pickled vegetables. Absolute heaven!

Winter 2010 will be my first semester since Fall 2008 in which I will NOT be taking courses. I'm trying to figure out exactly how to spend the time. I've finished the entire back of a sweater and have started the front. I've also started Wuthering Heights, and, judging from the number of books I've received for Christmas this year, I will have an enormous amount of reading material for the next month (Mary Shelley's original Frankenstein, a book of Shelley's shorter works, and a book of critical essays about Frankenstein, to name a few - can you tell I love Mary Shelley?)

Even though I'm still having nightmares about missing my finals, my grades keep making me happy. 2 A's and 2 A+'s! Two more to go...I think I might get a B in CHC, but I suppose that's alright. I'm banking on an A in Jane Austen though.

Some perspective:

I went back to my high school to visit some of my teachers on Wednesday. Freaking weird. It's bizarre how people who are only 4 years younger than me (my high school is 10-12...hooray overcrowding...) look SO YOUNG. I suppose 15/16 is young, especially growing up in Rockland. All of the students who don't know me thought I was a substitute teacher, which was pretty hilarious. Some of the teachers even thought I was a faculty member - I got the whole head nod that meant "I'm supposed to know you but I don't but I should pretend I do because I think I might have met you at some point and I don't want to be rude," which I do to a lot of people in Macaulay.

I never really embraced the whole high school situation, but to the seniors reading this, if you love it, make the most of it. It won't be the same when you go back. (And kids, the reality of going to college is that, despite whatever popularity you have, you will talk to, at most, 10 people you went to school with. Unless you all go to school together.) This isn't meant to be depressing - more of a carpe diem sort of thing. Make the most of what you have!

Merry Christmas!

-Katharine

No comments:

Post a Comment