Sunday, February 2, 2014

Things I'm Loving: January

Hello there, it's been a while hasn't it? Well, I decided to take a little break from blogging during the winter break after I finished Picmas because I was taking a winter course. But I'm back! Since it's the beginning of February, and it's been a while since I last posted, I thought I'd do a little round up of my current favourites. Things that I'm enjoying doing, things that I'm enjoying using, etc. Basically just things I've been loving recently.

So, first up in the way of life things is this website called HabitRPG. Basically, it's like a super cool way of creating to-do lists. There's a section for habits, dailies, one time to-dos, and rewards. You enter everything in yourself and basically you win coins for any of the dailies or to-dos you complete, but lose health for things that you don't complete or bad habits that you do. The coins that you win go towards the rewards that you purchase. It's totally self-regulation, but gives you a little incentive to actually do the things. Also, you have this totally cute little avatar, which you can purchase more cool things for with your coins. This isn't something that is going to work for everyone, obviously, and I've only just recently started using it, but so far I'm liking it. If it turns out that I can't keep it up, or it's just not really helping me, then that's fine, but it's nice to even just have a place to list out what I need to do. And you can make the tasks as small as possible, that way for every little thing that you accomplish you still get coins. Like I put in wash dishes as well as put dishes away, so I get coins for both tasks. And in my habits, I've got use the stairs because I know that's not something I'm going to do daily perhaps (since I do live on the 9th floor) but when I go to school and I'm just going between classes, I do actually tend to use the stairs... And I'm counting when the escalators are broken.

Next is a beauty/skin sort of thing, but it's more in the general category. It's a lip balm from Lush, which I bought last month and am loving. It's called Honey Trap, and it's in a little pot so you do have to use your fingers, which I'm not a huge fan of, but I'll brave it. It seems to be working really really well, which is great because who wants chapped lips? It says "for vanilla honey kisses" and I think that's an accurate way to describe the taste/smell. It's really nice, not overpowering at all, and smoothes in really well. Lush is amazing! I can't use a lot of the stuff because of my skin, but I've been buying things for people as presents and they make good gifts. Obviously in the dorms the bath bombs aren't very helpful, but they make shampoo and conditioner bars that you could totally use here. They've got a decently new store located at 1293 Broadway, and another one located on 14th Street, if you want to go check out their products. I've been going to the one on Broadway, and it's small and the people are nice and helpful.

As far as clothes go, I've been really loving this Union Jack beanie that my parents got me for Christmas. For those of you who don't know, the Union Jack is the British flag. It's got a little pom pom on top, and it's been really helpful for these cold past few weeks. In addition, I got a belated Christmas present, which I asked for from my aunt when I visited England at Thanksgiving, of a really warm and soft hooded dressing gown or bathrobe. It's got little bear ears on it, and it's super cute and I really love it. I've been wearing it all around the dorms, because it's been so cold, but also just cause it's really adorable and I like being a bear...

And just, one last thing I thought I'd share is that I've been getting back into cooking lately. Last semester I kind of got into a bit of a funk as far as cooking goes. I don't know, I just didn't have a lot of motivation to cook for myself and was eating out or getting delivery a lot. That really hurt my bank account, but also when I order food I have a tendency to eat less healthily. I am still sticking strong with my no-McDonald's since getting back from Asia, but I definitely wasn't eating as much veggies as I should have been. But, I went grocery shopping with my friend and bought a whole bunch of stuff, and have been cooking a lot the past couple of weeks. I've been documenting my most interesting meals on instagram, so if you're interested I'd love to direct you over there.

I also thought that I'd include a little New Year's/New Semester resolutions bit, just so that I have it written down and I can hold myself to it. But essentially, I want to start exercising a bit (even if it's really a little amount, which it probably will be) and I want to start eating more healthily, which I have been. And I really really want to start reading some more and so on my HabitRPG I've actually got 10 minutes of reading as a daily task. I will increase that as I go on, but I thought that with the semester starting, that 10 minutes was a good sort of jump off point since I haven't done much for-pleasure reading since the summer. And of course, I want to keep up on here and I've got a bunch of ideas for posts that I want to write as well as a bunch of sequel posts that were meant to go up last semester, but didn't. So, yeah, I really want to finish as many of those as possible and just keep writing. The thing I love about having a blog being an option for "community service" hours, is that I love writing and this is a way that I have to always be writing. Even if it's just about the boring stuff in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment