Friday, February 14, 2014

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart)

Hey, everyone!

Happy Valentine's Day!! <3 Today is about celebrating love in all of its forms, and I hope you all took some time today to tell the important people in your life how much you care about.
One reason I love this holiday is because it's an excuse to wear red. Red is my favorite color, and I love seeing pops of red everywhere.

And what is Valentine's Day without love poetry? Here's a poem by E.E. Cummings:

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
                                                 i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it’s you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)


In other news, the Olympics started last Friday, and I've been watching as many of the events as I can when I'm at home. My family and I like to lounge around the TV and watch the events together so it's a great family bonding experience.

Interesting Moments:
  • Evgeni Plushenko performances. He's just so confident and comfortable when he skates! It's like he was born on the . 
  • Gracie Gold's performance: She's young but she's super talented!!
  • Yulia Lipnitskaya's performances: This girl is a phenom. He spins are out of this world. 
  • Sarka Pancochova's crash: During the women's slopestyle final, she fell on the course and her helmet actually cracked from the impact. Scary moment. 
  • Bob Costas' eye infection: This guy is great during every Olympics. I feel so bad for him! Those eyes looked terrible the last couple of days he was on air. 
  • Dutch speedskaters: these guys/girls are amazing this year!!
  • Shaun White: I'm sad that he didn't get a medal this year, but I love watching him even when he's not perfect. 
  • Alex Bilodeau: This Canadian moguls skier and his brother stole everyone's hearts this first week. Bilodeau's brother has cerebral palsy and is his constant inspiration. I loved watching them hug after he won gold. 
This past Monday, I went to the salon to get my hair cut. I've been going to the same lady since I was 16 so she knows my hair pretty well by now. She's done my hair for every major occasion since then including my high school prom. I'm always in awe at how she remembers everyone's preferred haircut. I also just love watching her work because every movement she makes when she's styling hair has a purpose, and she makes it all look so easy. You can immediately tell when somebody knows what they're doing and is a master at his/her job. I can only hope that I will be half as good in my chosen career.

The rest of the week was kind of nutty with all of this snow madness, but we made it through! On Thursday morning, the snow was coming down hard, but it was soooo beautiful in Brooklyn. But then, the rain came later in the day and omg, those puddles...!! There were huge puddles at almost every street corner. It was virtually impossible not to get your feet wet. Unfortunately, I had to run an errand that afternoon and had to walk in the slushy puddle filled Upper East Side. By the time, I got back to Hunter, my shoes were soaked. I had a bio study group session in the library, and I ended up taking off my shoes and just hanging out in my socks.

Lastly, some time during lecture yesterday, my bio professor gave us some words of wisdom: "You don't have to be cool, but don't be uncool." I'll let you guys chew on that over the weekend. haha

S.

College Tip of the Week: Get organized.

If you learn organizational skills when you're young, your life will be infinitely easier so start in college. As classes, volunteer work, jobs, and your social life pile up, you'll need to know how to manage it all.

Manage your time: Use some kind of calendar. Whether it's a planner or the calendar on your computer or phone. Include all deadlines, meetings, events, etc. Create a plan for what you will do each day. I promise you that you'll be more productive and less stressed out.

Organize your workspace: I personally like working on a desk that is as empty as possible. When my workspace is cluttered, my mind feels cluttered. But some people like to have a bunch of stuff on their desks and that's fine too. Just make sure to organize everything so you know where everything is and you don't feel overwhelmed by all of your stuff.

Organize your thoughts: Learn how to take control of your own thoughts. Don't let your mind wander in class or when studying. Just focus on the task at hand for chunks of time and give yourself breaks to think about whatever you want. Also, included in this category is when you have a brilliant thought/idea about something. Write it down somewhere. Keep a list of these ideas. They may serve as inspiration for future projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment