Monday, February 3, 2014

Aaaaaand, we're back.

I meant to write this blog post at the end of last week, but I've only gotten around to it now. I had an uneventful winter break, consisting mostly of chilling at home with my computer and some TV. This was the first break I've had from school since last winter, and I took advantage of sleeping until noon every day and watching entire seasons of Scrubs in less than a week. Unfortunately, I was sick for nearly half of my break. My body has somehow programmed itself to avoid getting sick during school, so I usually end up sick on every break, especially during the winter. Definitely not fun.

I woke up this morning to a snowstorm. The first thing I do when it's snowing is check my email, in the hope that a snowdrift sealed my professor's front door shut and they couldn't make it to class. But yet it was in vain, as not one of my professors had the mercy to cancel class today *shakes fist at the sky*. So, I stomped my way to school, secretly praying all day that one of my professors would change their mind (hint: they didn't). Throughout the day I angrily looked out the window at the snow that swirled about, at one point falling in torrents, like rain. Days like today make me glad I own Bean Boots.

Getting back into the swing of this semester has been kind of rough for me. I'm at the point in my English major where I've taken all of my electives, so I'm now taking required classes. It should be the other way around. You're supposed to take the requirements first as both informants to the elective classes and as introductions to the various subjects you could focus on in your major. I have two problems with this approach to the major: 1) I've never really been one to follow prescribed routes, and 2) I already knew what type of literature I wanted to study. High school had exposed me to enough British literature to convince me I didn't want to read Beowulf and Shakespeare for the rest of my life (god forbid). I have a secret third problem with this method: if you are an undecided English major, taking a survey of early works (as all surveys are) will not give you insight into the full spectrum of literature in a given field. For example: Survey of American Literature from Origins to Civil War has got to be one of the dullest classes I've ever taken (despite my teacher's admirable excitement about the subject). I already knew I wanted to study modern American literature when I got to college, but if this class had been my first encounter with American literature, I would never have done so. While the survey courses are well-intentioned, they can be misleading. I found that by taking electives I thought looked interesting, I quickly discovered my focus. Of course, it always helps if you've done a bit of reading on your own beforehand (as you should if you want to be an English major). I found that English 220 was a huge help in figuring out what genres and authors were my cup of tea: Hemingway, postmodernism, and modern fiction. As always, don't be afraid to just experiment with classes and teachers.

Which brings me to my next point. I am an infamous class dropper. I have friends who will take a class with any professor, as long as it fits in their schedule. I am of the mindset that if I don't love a teacher, I will never love the class. They can make or break your experience and your performance. You can come to class well-prepared, interested, and attentive, and a bad teacher can ruin all of that. On the other hand, a good teacher can work wonders on a boring subject. But you have to find out what a good teacher is for you. I cannot recommend enough that you do your research about a professor. I am infamous for swapping classes a week into the semester, merely because I don't like the professor's teaching style. Don't get me wrong: it isn't about how knowledgable a professor is, it's all about if you're on the same wavelength. Different teaching styles work for different people and its super important that you figure out what works for you as soon as possible. There is really nothing better than being excited to go to class, merely because you and a teacher just vibe so well. This is a rare occurrence, but it is so valuable. Picking your professor-mentor can be sort of like finding a relationship. And when you find a professor you like, stick with it. Take another course with them. Ask them for advice, recommendations. Get to know them. Make an ally in your major, someone you feel comfortable being yourself around. There are so many niches in academia, it's nice to find a friend who will help you shape your voice and find your calling.

I think part of the reason this semester has been rough thus far is that I don't really love any of my classes. Most of the classes are requirements for my major or GERs that I felt I had to get over with. I've sort of come to terms with the fact that I won't always be taking classes I love or things I'm 100% interested in. My boyfriend has convinced me (amid my groaning about Puritan works of literature) that I should try to find something to enjoy in every class, no matter how much I dislike it or how boring I find it. And this is some advice I'll pass on to you. College isn't always going to be what you want it to be. There are requirements, and boring intro classes, and surveys of things you couldn't care less about but have to know to be a Formidable Human Being in the World. Don't let it get you down. Make the best of it. Mediate it with classes you enjoy. Reward yourself for reading another passage by a man named Wigglesworth who you're supposed to take seriously (despite his name). Just get what you can out of it and move on.

OK, another rant complete. I'll try to be a little less lecture-y next time.

Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment