Friday, February 21, 2014

It's a Mad, Mad World….(Back to watching Mad Men)

Hey, everyone!

I was going to start writing my post a few minutes ago, but then I got distracted by Jeopardy. I don't get to watch it as often as I'd like so when I do get the chance, I like to sit back and test my trivia knowledge. Today's episode was the college championship finals. I'm happy to say that I was able to answer a good amount of the questions. =) A sophomore from Princeton won the grand prize, $100,000.

Last weekend was relaxing because we had three days off. I did some HW, watched some Olympic events, and went shopping. I also submitted my FAFSA corrections with the 2013 tax data. For people who are high school seniors as well as college students, you should fill out the FAFSA ASAP. It'll take you under an hour if you have all of the necessary documents in front of you.

I also got the chance to start watching season 6 of Mad Men. The characters are in the year 1968 so there is a lot of change going on. In one episode, MLKJ dies, and everyone is absolutely devastated. Living in the year 2014, it's hard to imagine what it must have felt like, but shows like Mad Men really do a great job of showing us how people were reacting. Season 7 starts on April 13th.

Yesterday was a Monday schedule at Hunter so I only had physics. Later, I ran over to Brooklyn for a dermatologist appointment. It was my first appointment with him, and he seemed knowledgable and friendly. It's so hard to find a doctor that you really click with so hopefully, things work out well.

This morning, we watched a documentary about the Philippine-American War in my Filipino American Lit class, which made me feel incredibly disillusioned about the US. This war is virtually never mentioned in American history textbooks, but it was one of the earliest examples of US colonization. Hearing all of the talk about the "white man's burden" and civilizing our "brown brothers" is just disturbing. I wish more people paid attention to all of the horrible things that humans have done in the past so that these atrocities are not repeated. All of the conflicts around the world can't be solved in a day, but if we all live our lives with more love, kindness, and tolerance, then we can make a dent in all of the ugliness that exists.

S.

College Tip of the Week: Go over your notes on a regular basis. 

One of the things that will ensure your success in college is going over your notes on a regular basis and not leaving studying for the last minute. If you just go to class, take notes, and never look at your notes until the week before an exam, then you're going to be in trouble. You're going to have a ton of stuff to go over and very little time to actually learn it all properly. Life will quickly become overwhelming and miserable so just get in the habit of not doing that. As soon as possible after a class, read over your notes while the information is still fresh in your head, and fill in anything that you may have missed. I like reading my notes while on the train or while sitting on one of Hunter's bridges. Mark portions that you don't understand with a question mark so that you know what you need to look up on Google or what to ask your professor. Highlight important portions. Some people also benefit from rewriting notes or listening to recordings from the lecture. You'll figure out what works for you as you go along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment