Tuesday, February 4, 2014

I think I've found my new favourite hiding space

With the hustle and bustle of the city, it's a little difficult to ever find some down time. There's always something going on, and you're constantly surrounded by people. As someone who appreciates their privacy, this gets a little rough on me sometimes. I've coped by finding ways to sneak away and find some "me time" in nice corners of the school and the city.

By far my new favourite is the Roosevelt House. Located on 65th street, it was once the residence of Franklin, Eleanor, and Sara Roosevelt. They gave it to Hunter in their wills, and it has now been converted to the head of the Public Policy and Human Rights departments.

It's only a 10 minute walk from the school, and there's a grace that only age and history can bring to a place. The view of the residential area here is lovely from the Sara Delano Roosevelt Library - snow covered trees and a small ornamental balcony, looking at beautiful red brick buildings. There's a large painting of President Roosevelt, and the shelves are lined with books discussing the rise and fall of great nations and administrations. Best of all, it is quiet. There are classes going on in other parts of the building, and there are offices up top. However, this library sees little use and often is vacant.

I had originally come here to see if the textbook for my public policy class was on the shelves, but it seems as though someone has borrowed it already. Since that was the only copy I could seem to find listing of, I'm not sure how I'm going to do my homework. The local bookstore has sold out of copies, Hunter's bookstore never ordered any, and I didn't order mine online since it wouldn't have gotten here in time. This is going to be awkward. Hopefully one of my friends has purchased it already, or I can find a sample of the first few chapters online.

I think I'll stay for a while though, and relax.
I know there is an event tonight at five thirty, which guarantees free food and some good discussion. The Public Policy program often has events on Wednesdays and on certain weeknights that are pane l discussions of present issues within the world and the city. Tonight's topic is the idea of transportation and it's future - a topic that is relevant both to my life, and to my most recent Macaulay Seminar!

Regardless of what I do, I have enjoyed the opportunity to relax and think in the quiet of what once was a President's library.  It's an awe inspiring and very calming presence, almost as if FDR himself is promising me that the only thing I have to fear - is fear itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment