Thursday, February 9, 2012

Immigration, LoVe, and Three-Day Weekends

Hello everyone. =)

It seems like every time Thursday comes around all I can think about is that the weekend is almost here, and I've managed to survive another week. haha
This weekend will be especially nice because it's a three-day weekend. Yay!! Thank you, Abraham Lincoln! You're a cool dude. =p
In other news:
--> My Macaulay seminar class is getting interesting. My class is studying Jews and Mexicans and their immigration to the United States in different periods. Immigration is a huge part of American history and I think it's important to study it. These immigrants struggled to get here and to assimilate to this culture. We need to keep their memory alive by talking about them and about what they went through.
--> I also watched two great movies--El Norte and Hester Street. I had to watch them for my seminar class. Both movies are about immigration and are incredibly moving.
--> I've been trying to hang out with my friends on a regular basis this semester. Hunter has a huge student population and it can be difficult to make friends at first. Both last semester and this semester I've been trying to make an effort to keep in contact with everyone and meet people. You never know what person will end up impacting your life in ways you never expected.
--> I have lab three times a week this semester and I actually enjoy them. I like that lab requires group work. It forces you to meet new people and work with a variety of people.
--> I've recently started playing this Facebook game called "Wetopia". The game allows you to create your own little village/city and as you build it, you score "joy". This joy then goes to helping real people in the U.S. and other countries. It's pretty cool.

In honor of Valentine's Day:

"What is that you express in your eyes? It seems to me more than all the words I have read in my life."

~Walt Whitman

<3,

S.

No comments:

Post a Comment