Friday, August 30, 2013

My Cool Stethoscope named Sven, The Book Thief Movie, Shah Rukh Khan

Hi Guys!


This is finally a blog post about school since it's now started!
  • The east building is not lonely as I previously imagined, but buzzin' with seniors who don't mind the occasional nursing junior here or there. Cool neighbors abound!
  • Nursing school has started and I totally really LOVE IT?! I-wait for it- did the readings before hand and resultantly I understood the material and even was prepared for questions in class? Feeling competent is great? My textbooks are interesting, and I feel motivated and determined. Clinicals were this week, and I really enjoyed them as well. There was one really intimidating professor who made you question everything you did, and also kind of made you feel like crap, but I think those profs are best in the long-run because you daren't come to class without being prepared, since you want to be on top of your game and impress them when they inevitably pick on you!
  • A secret reason that I really extra-enjoyed clinicals was because of my uniform. I even have a stethoscope which I am naming Sven. Sven and I will auscultate together. It is a very exciting prospect. Also, in Subway during my lunch break, I met the cool stares of the doctors dining there and levelled them with my steely yet cool glare because I also had a stethoscope. And a uniform, which was infinitely cooler than their ties. Additionally, I have a pocket penlight. I fear I may lose it due to a newfound habit of whipping it out and yelling things while pointing it ominously at my friends. It's great.
  • I have discovered that I love the laundromat and now am kind of glad when Brookdale's laundry room crashes. I like the idea of sitting in the communal space and reading while waiting to pick up my clothes, and possibly meeting interesting people or just people watching. 
  • A lot of YA books are becoming movies...like ender's game, divergent, vampire academy, mortal instruments (out already!), the spectacular now, the book thief, the hunger games (well that's been out for a while), TFiOS, and countless more, and it's making me feel endlessly cool because I read most of those years before they were in talks for movies. This is the closest to hipster I'll ever feel. I totally love it. (omg also THE BOOK THIEF ;____; THE TRAILER LOOKED GOOD AND LIKE IT'LL DO THE BOOK SOME JUSTICE. I'm glad Geoffrey Rush is in it. He is a good actor.) Maybe I'll post weekly trailers, so here's this week's, then: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92EBSmxinus
  • On a fangirl note, Legend of Korra is out Sept 13. On a random note, I want to play extremely competitive monopoly in the game room this year since my siblings and I basically spent the summer honing our cutthroat skills in this game. If you're reading this, comment and we should totally play.
  • I'm really really overly excited about decorating my door because my floor's theme is celebrities so I'm practically supposed to adorn my door with photos of Shah Rukh Khan. Because I possibly might've spent the summer watching SRK movies and taking photos of movie stills while watching (a good time investment, I must say, especially if you take comfort in photos of SRK as your phone or desktop backgrounds), I have enough photos for a solid collage. However, I'm thinking I might just put a photo of him looking off into the distance and then juxtapose myself in his line of vision. I cackle to myself when thinking about the sweet perfection of this plan. It's exciting. I might need an intervention.
  • One non-cool thing is that the library on 23rd street is closed til November. Can we have a moment of silence for this.
  • Right, so college classes and goals: my classes are Pharmacology, Nursing 200, and Fundamentals of Nursing, which includes clinical, lab and lecture. And another Nursing course which I'm not too clear on yet...Anyway, my goals are to do as well as I can this semester. It feels like a fresh start. I'm in a new building, with new students, got a new uniform haha, so I want to start off well! Wish me luck!
  • I've met a lot of cool, new people and I'm excited for this year!!!!!!!!!!!
Amirah

PS: Quotes I enjoy right now:
"No matter what, nobody can take away the dances you’ve already had."-Gabriel García Márquez
 "I know you're tired, but come, this is the way."-Rumi
PPS Ugh. SRK is perfection. I bought a huge photo-book on him. It's possibly the best life decision I've ever made. I'm in a bit of a Bollywood tizzy right now, more so than usual. Sigh. My apologies if a lot of random 90s indian music appears in this blog in weeks to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment