Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Finally approaching the final final

I'm now just one tests away from being done with my junior year - yay! It's been a calm finals week for me, as I only had two finals and only one of them is cumulative. But I've also been incredibly apathetic and unmotivated for finals this year, which is making it a bit challenging. For my bio final last week I studied on and off, then took lots of time off to study and spent about half of it goofing off before suddenly realizing this was not a good idea. Luckily the stress of it suddenly dawning on me that 1/3 of my grade for that class was about to be decided in less than 36 hours got me back into gear.

Now I'm wrestling the same disinterest to prepare for my organic chemistry final tomorrow. Part of my de-motivation come from the fact that based on my midterms and the class distribution I only need to get a 75 or so on the final to get an A in the class. But still, it would be awfully silly to mess it up now...

This finals week I've also been experimenting with a variety of different study spots. Last week, unable to find room in the Hunter library, I went over to the Macaulay building. That's a bit of a gamble in my experience, about half the times I've gone there to study there's been some event taking up the space. And for some reason I can't figure out the tech fellows tend to gather there and chat really loudly which can be quite annoying. Other times though it's a great spot and very quiet; as freshman my boyfriend and I several times went there to take naps between classes and that worked quite well. Last week it turned out to be good and productive.

My other favorite study location this semester is the statistics tutoring office; having use of that room is one of the best perks of being a tutor/TA for that class. It's very small though, and there are often one or two other tutors chilling out or working in there, but overall it's great Hunter real estate.

And then there's studying at home. Although I know many students have a lot of trouble studying at home, I've had great success by locking myself in my room and ignoring communication from family members. I've also found that my bed provides and excellent large surface to spread all my books out on. The only real challenge though is that some dog or cat (we have four of the former and two of the latter) invariably ends up on those spread out books sooner or later.

For now though it's time to get back to chemistry.

- Celine


No comments:

Post a Comment