Saturday, April 25, 2015

Scones, Meatballs, and Weill Cornell

Hi, everyone!

It's a beautiful Saturday morning, and I'm feeling pretty good because I got to sleep in late. YES. Small victories in life.

Monday's endocrinology exam went well. Let's see what happens. I'm really loving this class though. I love learning all of the pathways and seeing how hormones control so many aspects of our physical lives.

That same day, I went to Bel Ami for the first time. I've passed by this French bakery so many times over the years and have never walked in because I always assumed it was too pricey and just too fancy for me. haha. But I was with someone, and he suggested that we stop by for some sweets. I'm so glad that we did! I got their apricot and walnut scone, and it was awesome! And it was $3, which is not too terrible. haha. They do have a $10 credit card minimum though so make sure that you have cash if you're only there for coffee and sweets.

We ended up going back to Bel Ami on Wednesday, and I got a brioche this time. It was great with some coffee from the Halal cart. We also went to The Meatball Shop that day. It was my first time being back since the summer before college started (back in 2011) so it was cool to be there as a 22- year-old. It made me think about how much of me had changed and what had stayed the same. The meatballs come in all sorts of varieties, and there is a vegetarian option, which I've heard great things about but have yet to try. haha. Definitely check it out. And the service was awesome! Our waiter was super polite and attentive. We went to the one on the Upper East Side, but I had a good experience in the Stanton Street location as well (the one I went to when I was 18).

On Tuesday, I went to an event about bioethics where one of the speakers was one of my former MHC seminar professors. It was funny because as soon as I walked into the room, he was like "Slavena?" haha. It was cool to catch up with him and tell him about what's going on with me as I graduate. I had him for seminar 3, and it ended up being one of the coolest classes that I took because it introduced me to philosophy and in particular, environmental philosophy, which is something that I had never been exposed to before.

I had to write 2 cover letters this past week for a couple of jobs that I'm applying for so I ended up going to see my MHC advisor so that she could look over them. She liked what I wrote so I just sent in the applications yesterday. I'm going to apply for some other things too and hopefully, I get something great to do next year. :)

Yesterday, I went to a tour of Weill Cornell Medical College, and there were a couple of former MHC students there. They told us about their experiences in med school, and why they chose Weill Cornell. I'm so glad I went because every one of these events motivates me to continue this journey.

S.

For this last semester, I've decided that I'll share one cool/interesting/thought-provoking thing that I happen to run across during the week:

Bruce Jenner's courage

No comments:

Post a Comment