Friday, October 3, 2014

Visualizations

Hey, everyone!

September flew by, and classes are getting serious with the workload. Like my Gene Regulation seminar. I have to submit an outline for my semester-long project on Tuesday, and I'm a little bit overwhelmed in the process of trying to figure out what direction to take. But I think I've made some progress so hopefully, I won't be too bogged down and stressed this weekend because of it.

I also have an English paper to write for Wednesday, which I'm actually looking forward to because it's on two Emily Dickinson poems. I didn't know much about her or her writing before this class and now, I have a great appreciation for her words.

Earlier in the semester, I mentioned that I'm co-editor-in-chief of The Macaulay Messenger this year, which means that I edit a whole slew of articles (along with my partner) once a month. We just had our first deadline this past Sunday so now we're in the process of looking over the articles that our section editors edited. We should have them published some time next week so look out for that!

This week was great because I got the opportunity to attend two pre-health events at Hunter. On Wednesday, I went to an event that discussed how to finance our future medical educations. We had a speaker from Albert Einstein School of Medicine that went over the basics of scholarships and loans. We also had people from the army who informed us about how the army gives students a tuition-free medical education in exchange for service. Lastly, we had a speaker from Weill Cornell Medical College who also went over some basics with us. I'm really glad that I went because I got to learn some tidbits of information.

My favorite part of the event was when the man from Einstein told us to close our eyes, visualize our lives 10-15 years from now, and then do a quick sketch of our visualization. He said that we should always keep this image in mind because it helps us visualize our goals and keeps us motivated. He also mentioned that if we don't take care to learn how to create a budget and think about how to pay for med school wisely, that visualization may never come to fruition. I think that's a great piece of advice because so many young people don't know how to manage money and really need to learn either through the Internet or by taking courses/attending workshops.

Below is my sketch from that day. Please excuse my poor drawing skills and handwriting. haha.

The takeaway from my visualization: I want to be a physician who is known for being a great listener because listening = great patient care. I'd also like to be married because I want to have that great love in my life that not only sweeps me off my feet but with whom I can share my everyday hectic life. And maybe I'll even have a child by then?

And that last statement in the bubble? My greatest goal in life, which I share with probably everyone else reading this, is to know that I have a purpose. I want to feel fulfilled in my everyday existence.


Having this all on paper for the first time makes me so excited for what's to come and also so appreciative of my life now. What's to come is incredible, but it will only come if I put in the work and take care of myself now.

I came home even more inspired on Thursday because I attended a panel discussion with 3 current medical school students. I absolutely LOVED them. They answered all of our questions honestly and gave us a lot of confidence to keep going on our journey.

S.

Quote of the Week

“Students are intense people, they laugh and cry, they break down and rebuild.” 

~ Ursula K. Le Guin, A Fisherman of the Inland Sea

No comments:

Post a Comment