Wednesday, October 1, 2014

A Relaxing Break From School

Hello everyone!

Last week was quite the relaxing one since we only had classes on Monday and Tuesday. We had the rest of the week of for Rosh Hashanah, which was very nice. To kick off my stretch of free days I went on a 'Vertical Tour' at the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine on Wednesday afternoon. This is a tour where you get to climb the spiral stairs in the walls of the cathedral all the way up to the various levels of the church and then up onto the roof, giving you incredible views of the stained glass and architecture, and then incredible views of Manhattan and the skyline. I absolutely love churches and cathedrals even though I'm not personally very religious. The architecture and history are the things that appeal to me! During my travels in Europe during high school, I visited many famous cathedrals, churches, and basilicas and it's quite the awe-inspiring experience to be in the presence of so much. It was nice to have the same feeling last Wednesday right here in New York!

The following day I went to the train station to pick up my mom and grandma who had come down to visit me for a few days. It was very exciting to have visitors and I spent the next few days taking them to some of my favorite parts of the city like the High Line, Central Park, the Guggenheim, and the DUMBO Arts Festival. They also came to see my room since I'd made a few changes since when my mom helped me move in and they had brought me a few things for it. It felt nice to show off a little space that really felt 'mine'. Sunday morning was their last time in the city and when I said goodbye to them. When I got home after I realized that my dinner that night was going to be the first meal I had had to cook/pay for myself since Wednesday as they had been feeding me the entire time! It took a little while to get back into the routine of cooking, but I feel back on track now, thankfully.

Even though I had a lot of fun, the break from school was also quite productive! I was able to get a lot of work done and even get ahead on the homework for a bunch of my classes! It felt great to be proactive and I'm thankful that I had the time to do so. Luckily, we also don't have class this Friday due to Yom Kippur, so I won't be getting too used to the school routine... Also, I apologize that this post came so late! I'm aiming for posting every Sunday night, but it's become too hard to do that with all of my work. Therefore, I've been doing Monday nights instead, but was too busy last night as well! However, I think Monday nights will probably become the normal night for my weekly posts. Well, that's enough babbling for now! Talk to you again next week!

~ Adam Hobbins '18

No comments:

Post a Comment