Friday, October 24, 2014

Begin it!

Hi, everyone!

I had my first exam of the semester today, and it was for my Jewish history class. I actually haven't taken an in-class exam since my physics final back in May, but it's amazing how naturally I got back into my "exam-taking" mindset. But that doesn't mean that I wasn't nervous beforehand. I spent my morning worrying before I went in and took the exam in the afternoon. I felt MUCH better about it after I was done.

Then, my day got even better when I got a flower from someone. Yay for red roses!

The last couple of Tuesdays, I've found myself on a Central Park bench studying for a couple of hours. The weather was gorgeous! The trees were still mostly green with hints of orange and red. The sun was shining, and there was just a slight breeze. It made studying feel a lot less tedious. But the weather will be cooling down soon so I'll be back in the library. Not that I mind too much. It feels good to know stuff, if that makes sense. It feels good to be filled with knowledge and to know that my hard work is taking me places.

Then, Tuesday night, we had our penultimate discussion on scientific papers in my gene regulation class. That means people are going to start presenting next week, and the first draft of our paper is due in less than 2 weeks. Yikes. Much reading and writing for me in the days to come.

On Wednesday, we discussed this poem by Marianne Moore. It's one of the hardest poems out there but also strangely beautiful. Have a hand at deciphering it or better yet, allow yourself to float in the difficulty, which is what our English professor was telling us to do.

Tomorrow, I'll heading out to an event, which I hope to tell you guys more about in next week's post.

Btw, how are all of you prospective students handling the college admissions process? It's been 4 years since I've gone through it, but I still remember the pain of making sure every piece was just right. Please feel free to leave us questions in the comments section about anything and everything college-related. And please read over some of our old posts. There are great pieces of advice scattered throughout each one.

S.

One of my favorite quotes of all time:

Quote of the Week

"Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and endless plans: That the moment one definitely commits oneself then providence moves, too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never have otherwise occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance which no man could have dreamed would come his way. Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it! Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.”

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

No comments:

Post a Comment