Thursday, April 3, 2014

Wrapping Up

Hi everyone,

It has been a long, long time since I've posted, and I'm writing what may well be my last post as I am about to wrap up my senior year here at Hunter.

I took some time today to reflect on my old posts and look at the arc of my time here at Macaulay Hunter. It has been a great experience with many ups, some downs, and lots of great opportunity. It is a four years I don't think I'll ever forget.

Right now I am finishing up my senior thesis in risk perception at a social psychology lab here at Hunter, where I work as a research intern. I am also currently working as a clinical research intern at the World Trade Center Health Program, where I'm working on several PTSD studies. Aside from that, I've continued to work as an EMT (though not full time anymore).

I'm gearing up to apply to PhD programs in Clinical Psychology this fall, and I'm knee-deep in GRE studying. Of course the process will be a little stressful, but whatever the outcome I'm sure it will be a rewarding experience and one that I can learn from.

If I had to give some advice to any cohort of students at Macaulay, especially those in their first or second year, it would be to envision yourself as the type of person you want to be. I'm talking about something deeper than societally-sanctioned sense of self (how's that for alliteration?). Society comes and goes, and it's always changing, so anyone in their right mind wouldn't base the rest of their life on what might be a popular, nonpersonal option today. What did you want to be as a kid? What kinds of things do you stay up late and think about? What are some things about yourself you would only tell your best friend or siblings? Who are you? And what would that person who you may be too shy to let come forward really want to do with their lives?

These are all things I think everyone should consider, and the earlier the better. These are also things we might not be too sure of just yet. But as long as we bring awareness to them, as long as we try to grapple with them, I think it makes life all the more rich and exciting. I think it brings you closer to being able to live your dream.

So, think about who you really are deep down, and simple steps that can bring you closer to that in your college career. It could be certain classes, majors, or internships, but it could also be something nontraditional and completely outside of that dynamic. It could be walking a certain way to school, or exploring a different part of the city, or meeting people from a certain community you wouldn't have previously considered. It could be putting yourself out there, or it could be turning yourself inward for reflection. When you feel what you need to do, you'll know.

My time at Macaulay has been wonderful, and I'll always have the great memories it brought. But, moving forward, I am not necessarily sad, since I know there is much more in store. I hope you have a similar experience.

Michael.

No comments:

Post a Comment